The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Smallmouth Bass Rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Smallmouth Bass Rod?

Postby stevenlsmith87 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 am

Hey Guys,

Looking for a rod that I can use for some smallmouth bass fishing. I am mainly fishing in medium sized streams with little overhead cover. I am throwing some decent sized crayfish and leech patterns that have some weight to them. I am wanting to switch entirely to tenkara and am trying to pick a rod for this type of fishing. I am looking at the Yamame or the Amago. Any ideas? or should I just stick to western for this type of fishing?
My Outdoor Blog
www.thesilentpursuit.com
stevenlsmith87

Re: Smallmouth Bass Rod?

Postby chorpie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:11 am

I say Amago. Make sure you're casting more in ovals than straight back and forth or you'll shatter the tip if the fly hits it.
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby tntom » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:05 pm

I do a lot of the same kind of fishing I have both the Amago and the Yamame I would go with the Yamame it's worth loosing the 18" to get the extra power the Yamame will give you. With that said I have changed the flies I fish for smallies over time weighted flies are not much fun to cast with a Tenkara rod. The rod just feels over powered by the fly and it more like throwing a rope than casting a fly rod. I have gone to some smaller foam flies for topwater and some larger Tenkara style flies for subserface.

Check out this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=2481&p=18012#p18012
These flies also work well on the surface when pulsed they move a lot of water.
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby stevenlsmith87 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:23 pm

What size hook are you tying those flies on? They look really good!
My Outdoor Blog
www.thesilentpursuit.com
stevenlsmith87

Postby tntom » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:32 am

stevenlsmith87 wrote:What size hook are you tying those flies on? They look really good!

Most are tied on a #6 Gamakatsu B10S stinger hook.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:27 am

I fish for Smallmouth in the river near home with my Yamame rod. I've found the extra weight on flys necessary to get your fly down in the river currents. One must expect loosing some flies and tippet fishing for these fish. They seem to grab a fly and dive quite often. The rod can only do so much when this happens. IMO it's pushing the limits of what the rod is meant for. If your tippet survives this first run you can usually unhook your fish. I like larger flies for some of the fish I target, but you can easily make them too heavy to enjoy casting.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara Rods