The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago help

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago help

Postby tntom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:42 pm

This has been talked about before but I'm not looking for a new handle section TUSA don't make one and I don't see spending $40.00 or $50.00 to fix a $170.00 rod. I sure not going to buy a new rod just for a handle section that make no sense to me at all. My Amago a great rod other that the handle is like new most likely because the handle hurts my hand. Every other TUSA rod has a great handle but the Amago's sucks it's to small and has no shape. So does anybody know how I can make the handle bigger so I can give it some shape and not make a mess of it or make it red or blue or some dumb thing like that?

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Re: Amago help

Postby Anthony » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:48 pm

Tom - I used tennis racket wrap and sheets of craft foam to adjust mine. Super easy and it worked very well. I contoured the handle by wrapping with a couple layers of the craft foam and then wrapped with Slazenger tennis racket grip tape. You could contour it with the grip tape alone (there were three rolls of grip tape in the package I bought). I can't remember the price off the tape off top of my head but it was like $5 or something at the sporting goods store.

I also added some counter balance using lead core line at the end of the grip(since removed though)

Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby tntom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:01 pm

Anthony wrote:Tom - I used tennis racket wrap and craft foam to adjust mine. Super easy and it worked very well. I contoured the handle with the craft foam and then wrapped with Slazenger tennis racket grip tape.

I also added some counter balance using lead core line at the end of the grip(since removed though)

Thanks Anthony, I bet it fishes a lot better. I wander if I could do that with cork tape? How much foam did you put under the tape?

Tom
tntom

Postby Anthony » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I think it was just two layers (if memory serves)- The bottom layer of foam being longer than the top to create the contour.

Cork tape could probably work nicely too - although I can't say for sure.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby tpalka » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I'm going through the same issue. I had bike handlebar tape wrapped around the handle, but it was a bit too bulky and yet not built up enough. Photo attached below.

I am now experimenting with another solution -- a #2 pencil attached to the flat part of the handle, wrapped with felt, and a Nu-Skin over that. So far I like the shape, it's a bit thinner and yet my hand naturally contours around it. The Nu-Skin arrives in a few days, then I'll know more.

tom.

tpalka

Postby jd_smith » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:52 pm

I put a new cork grip on mine. Works like a champ now. The cork was about $15 shipped and is a 12" rear grip for a salmon rod. Amago is in the fore view, Iwana in the the back.

JD
Attachments
P3150513.JPG
P3150513.JPG (68.52 KiB) Viewed 9276 times
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby tntom » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 pm

jd_smith wrote:I put a new cork grip on mine. Works like a champ now. The cork was about $15 shipped and is a 12" rear grip for a salmon rod. Amago is in the fore view, Iwana in the the back.

JD

Looks very good. What did you ream it out to fit the rod with?

Tom
tntom

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:04 pm

-This was the post I was looking for JD. here's the post I was doing anyway-

What about a rattan wrap for your handle? After a little beefing up with foam. There's a couple links for how nice I thought it looked. And I believe it would also feel nice smoothed and varnished. Easily customized for the perfect feel. http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ayukichi_gujo_ ... 59417.html
http://wind.ap.teacup.com/applet/mighty/221_1/image
http://white.ap.teacup.com/kagebousi/30.html
I looked for a while for someone from the fourm who added a similar wrap to there handle, looked really cool. But couldn't find it. There was also a Japanese Tamo page I found where they weaved the rattan on the Tamo handle, it was impressive and beautiful, made for a nice grip on their net.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby jd_smith » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:56 am

tntom wrote:
jd_smith wrote:I put a new cork grip on mine. Works like a champ now. The cork was about $15 shipped and is a 12" rear grip for a salmon rod. Amago is in the fore view, Iwana in the the back.

JD

Looks very good. What did you ream it out to fit the rod with?

Tom

Tom...I used a cork reamer to enlarge the grip for the Amago. With care you could get away with using a round Dovetail file. Ether way, check the fit often so you don't take off to much material. With the Iwana I actually sanded the original grip to reduce it's circumference at the winding check. This made for a smooth transition at that location with no overlap of the rattan to the winding check.

The retrofits are simple and can be done in under an hour. A little side note though: I don't know how TenkaraUSA would feel about continuing a lifetime warranty for a modified rod. Anybody considering a retrofit should contact Daniel or TJ at info@tenkarausa.com to find out if it will be an issue with the warranty. I bought my Amago used so the warranty wasn't an issue for me.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Handle retrofits will not affect the warranty on the rod. That's not a modification that will alter the strength of the rod, so no problem. And, I'll encourage people play with it if needed.
Just keep in mind that if the handle section breaks, of course we'll not be able to replace the work you have done.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods