The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago vs Yamame

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago vs Yamame

Postby myotis » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 am

I have just ordered an Iwana 12', which seemed the best general purpose small stream option.

I almost ordered an Amago at the same time as the Iwana, but at the last minute I had a rethink, as I wondered if the Yamame might be a better 2nd rod option

I am interested in something that would be more capable in windy conditions than the Iwana, in that it would be better with heavier lines and lures, including some occasional but "always windy" saltwater fishing (In the UK). Should distaster strike, the 12' Yamame, might also be a better emergency backup, than the longer Amago, for the 12' Iwana.

I would still like a longer rod, for when conditions allowed, but for now, I am thinking the Yamame might be the better choice for my second rod.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Graham
myotis

Re: Amago vs Yamame

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:14 am

Hi Graham,
Given the applications you describe, I think your instinct to choose the Yamame is correct. That then gives you a good range of covering everything from small stream trout to larger fish in windy conditions. Most of the people in this forum who use tenkara rods for saltwater seem to prefer the Yamame and in my experience landing some decent sized bass, I can tell you it is a good big fish rod that's also good in the wind.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby tntom » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:23 pm

Jason Klass @ Tenkara USA wrote:Hi Graham,
Given the applications you describe, I think your instinct to choose the Yamame is correct. That then gives you a good range of covering everything from small stream trout to larger fish in windy conditions. Most of the people in this forum who use tenkara rods for saltwater seem to prefer the Yamame and in my experience landing some decent sized bass, I can tell you it is a good big fish rod that's also good in the wind.

+100
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby myotis » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:30 am

Thanks both, I will go with the Yamame.

Graham
myotis

Return to Tenkara Rods