The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Iwana 9' usage

Discussion on tenkara rods

Iwana 9' usage

Postby sylbaro » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:26 am

Hi,

I ordered a 9'3 Iwana handle, in order to fish very small rivers for trout, and to fish small species in ponds (micro-fly-fishing).

I would like to know if you guys have some tips about the usage of this rod (what line do you use, in which length...) and any fun or unusual usage you might have found out.

Best regards,
Sylvain.
sylbaro

Re: Iwana 9' usage

Postby Tenkara Guides » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:16 am

I have the same rod setup and this is what works best for me. 4.5 level line about rod length or a little longer with around 3 ft of tippet. The rod feels stiffer when casting than the 11ft Iwana and I feel like I have better casting/line control with the heavier level line. The 3.5 level line works well also, I just like how the 4.5 feels, it dampens the rod faster on the forward cast.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby sylbaro » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:47 am

OK, thanks for the advice! I'll try 4.5 then. I should receive the handle tomorrow and will try it out this week-end.
sylbaro

Postby statikpunk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:41 pm

I also have been using the 4.5 level line with mine at 1.5 x the length of the rod. using that length I have to fish with a little more line on the water than I would like but I have Carpal tunnel syndrome and Arthritis, and the 9 foot rod is really the only rod I can fish for 8 hours without at least a little discomfort. so for that it works great.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby rsetina » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:29 pm

I used mine on one of our local rivers and use a 12 foot line with 4 feet of tippet. It cast the longer line very well and I had no trouble with over hang in trees and bushes.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Fin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:42 pm

A couple of my favourite streams are heavily forested and, whilst shortening the line on my 12' Iwana reduced fly loss due to foliage, I still had casting/ tip snag issues in heavy brush.

The new Iwana handle has saved the day!

IMO there are two factors with this rod which require a heavier line:

1) It is stiffer than the regular Iwana.
2) It is incredibly light - so much so that it requires a heavier line to feel the rod loading.

My rig consists of about 6' of 4.5 level with about 3.5' of 5x tippet. After much experimentation, I have found this pretty much perfect for either tiny streams, or heavily covered rivers/ streams.

I was already sold on the delicacy of this set up, but when I hooked a 12" Chub on it's first outing, I was also sold on it's strength.
Fin

Postby statikpunk » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:30 am

Fin wrote:
IMO there are two factors with this rod which require a heavier line:

1) It is stiffer than the regular Iwana.
2) It is incredibly light - so much so that it requires a heavier line to feel the rod loading.

yes ! thats exactly how I felt too, its so light you need a heavier line just so you can tell its in your hand :)
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 am

I have the same setup and fish some very clear water with spooky trout. Trees are the rule of thumb on this little stream and I have tried the tenkara usa line but the fish spook. I switched to a P-line flourocarbon line in 15lb test of about the lenght of the rod. I then use about a three foot tippet of 4lb. I do have to pratically army crawl but I am able to get under the thick low hanging trees with ease and have pulled out some beautiful cuts and browns. To be honest the rod feels like it has much more backbone and I have caught some very nice trout. So I love this rod setup but the truth of the matter I prefer the longer Iwana just because it feels better with the longest rod I can get away with. What would be awesome is if you had a zoom Iwana that went from9'4 to 11' that would be the ultimate small stream rod.
Tenkara Elevated

Return to Tenkara Rods