The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

What is a tenkara rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: What is a tenkara rod?

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:34 am

adventureR wrote:
I think its about time people quit typing and just go fishing.

John

This is the best advise. My fingers are crossed for fishing tomorrow. Carp looks like alot of fun too.

That was the first time either of us had fished for carp with tenkara rods. We were using an Amago with 3.5 level line and 5x tippet to catch these 6-8 pound fish. We climbed over a chain link fence in flip flop sandals (Not recommended foot wear for that activity) to get the the water. The funny thing is I forgot my tamo in the car and after the fist carp was hooked the realization that we really needed a net became obvious. Nothing like trying to land these very heavy and strong fish with no net and only 5x tippet. I know I will be going back for some more carp fun!

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby Loften » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow! You must be a really good tenkara fisherman to land a 5lb carp on a tenkara rod. For carp I normally stick to my western rod and have to use the reel a lot.
Loften

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 am

Loften wrote:Wow! You must be a really good tenkara fisherman to land a 5lb carp on a tenkara rod. For carp I normally stick to my western rod and have to use the reel a lot.

I got a little over zealous and lost my fish. EriK was able to land a couple.
It really comes down to patience and a lot of running up and down the bank with the fish until they tire enough to bring them in. We were catching them on a Utah Killer Bug.
Tenkara Guides

Postby erik.ostrander » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Tenkara Guides wrote: We were catching them on a Utah Killer Bug.

We also caught one with a kebari. That makes me totally confused. Was the Amago a Tenkara rod when we used kebari? or was it simply an all purpose rod because the fish happened to have a different name than "trout"?

What if I'm fishing for trout, with traditional Tenkara techniques, with a rod that is 12-15', with flex within some undefined range, using a single kebari and I accidentally catch a white fish? uh oh. My Tenkara rod has magically transformed into an all purpose rod. And if I catch a carp while fishing for Tenkara? I guess I should return my rod since the rod was sold to me under the guise of a Tenkara rod, but is now defined as a universal rod or an all purpose rod.

My point in this rant is that it is quite important to realize that what is Tenkara and what isn't Tenkara is a line drawn in the sand. Is any fixed line rod a Tenkara rod? Obviously not, but who really knows? It's just a label.

And what makes a Kebari? Is it just thread and hackle? What kind of hackle does it have to be and which direction does it need to point? What if I use dubbing that isn't fern dubbing collected exclusively in Japan?

I fish with kebari all the time. I am active in fly manipulation. I target trout all the time, I have fished with many people who teach Tenkara, I have caught large fish in waters where match the hatch is the rule, and I still don't know what Tenkara is and what Tenkara isn't.

JD wisely said, "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck..."

I ask, "What's a duck?" Maybe we should discuss what is aduck.

This discussion about what is and what isn't Tenkara is becoming analogous to a discussion about Entomology. It's almost becoming analogous to a discussion about religion.

These lines drawn in the sand are beyond frustrating to me. A line drawn in the sand can change with the wind and sand erodes around your feet with the wind.

Where is the wind blowing the sand line of Tenkara outside of Japan?
erik.ostrander

Postby dusty » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:26 am

It all gets a little vague, doesn't it? Given that traditional tenkara rods were bamboo with wooden or wrapped handles, how do we get to the point where a "real" tenkara rod is a telescoping rod made out of space-age graphite w/ a cork handle, but a telescoping rod made out of the same material, which can be fished the same way, and maybe even named by its Japanese manufacturer a "mountain stream" rod, can't be considered a tenkara rod because of a lack of cork handle material..... which would never have been found on a traditional tenkara rod anyway?

I respect Dr. Ishigaki's opinion on the matter, but would all the Tenkara-sensei agree? And all the guys who have been in the tenkara fishing clubs over the past 30+ years?
dusty

Postby Platinum321 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Spot on Dusty. ;)
Platinum321

Postby Eddie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 am

Sorry to raise this issue again, but let me add some new information.
I do not think anyone has ever pointed this out.

In Japan, a recommended tippet size is shown in the specification table of a rod, and I have complied the tippet sizes of several rods in the following table:

____Rod__________Japanese Size___X-size__Target Fish
---------------------------------------------------------------
Daiwa Sagiri________ 0.2-0.6_______8X-6X____Yamabe or Hae which is up to 8"
Daiwa Kiyose________0.4-0.8_______7X-5X ____Trout in Japan
Daiwa Soyokaze______0.2-0.6_______8X-6X_____Any small fish

Nissin Airstage_______0.8-1.2_______5X-4X_____Tenkara rod
Gamakatsu Gensuirei__0.8-1.5 ______5X-3X_____Tenkara rod
Gamakatsu Tenkara____0.8-2________5X-2X_____Tenkara rod

I think this table shows that:
Non tenkara rods are good for a light hookset, but they cannot stand or create a strong hookset; and
Tenkara rods can stand or create strong hookset.

The above table is made up according to the following specification tables.
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/rod ... index.html
http://www.u-nissin.co.jp/product/item/id/010090094
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/search/index ... l&id=20376
http://www.gamakatsu.co.jp/search/index ... l&id=20375
Eddie

Postby Paul Arnold » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 am

Non tenkara rods are good for a light hookset, but they cannot stand or create a strong hookset; and
Tenkara rods can stand or create strong hookset.

My personal feeling is that until such time as there are Tenkara Fishing Tournaments (never, I hope), we need make no fine distinctions as to whether any particular fixed-line pole (that can be used with flies) is or is not a tenkara rod. Fishing tournaments require rules, but recreational fishing does not.
Paul Arnold

Postby Eddie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:53 am

Paul Arnold wrote:
My personal feeling is that until such time as there are Tenkara Fishing Tournaments (never, I hope), we need make no fine distinctions as to whether any particular fixed-line pole (that can be used with flies) is or is not a tenkara rod. Fishing tournaments require rules, but recreational fishing does not.

I think most important thing in tenkara is not how many fish you catch but how much you enjoy fishing, rivers, mountains, and nature (fishing can be more enjoyable if you catch more and bigger fish, though). Therefore, I think you can use any rod for your tenkara as long as you can enjoy.

But, I wanted to say that there are concrete structural and functional differences between tenkara rods and non-tenkara rods, and a non-tenkara rod cannot always be an alternative for a tenkara rod. If you pick up a non-tenkara rod for tenkara, you should know the differences, I think.
Eddie

Postby dwalker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Eddie wrote:I think most important thing in tenkara is not how many fish you catch but how much you enjoy fishing, rivers, mountains, and nature (fishing can be more enjoyable if you catch more and bigger fish, though). Therefore, I think you can use any rod for your tenkara as long as you can enjoy.

Eddie,

Good post and on the mark. Recently, not wanting to expend time and money to travel to a place with better fishing, I have gone fishing nearby where I expected to not catch many fish.

But I knew I would have fun just casting with a new rod, practicing casting into tight spots to improve my skills and just being on the water. Watching the fish and the ducks swim by. Watching the squirrels, deer and what I suspect is a mink, come to the water to drink. And when I stay till dusk, I get chased off the river by arrival of the bats, who hit my line, rod and occasionally me.

;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods