The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago cork discoloration?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago cork discoloration?

Postby achilles38 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:09 pm

I just received my first Tenakara USA rod as an early father's day present and noticed the cork near the bottom of the handle is discolored, like it has either rotted or the adhesive seeped through and messed up the cork. What I am wondering is if it poses a problem in the future, corrosion, falling off, etc, or is it just a natural part of the cork and I'll have to live with it? My other tenkara rod doesn't have the same issue with its cork, but it is from a different company and much, much cheaper, lol, which is why I was asking about the Amago cork. thanks for any tips or help.

Amago cork.jpg
Jeremy
achilles38

Re: Amago cork discoloration?

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Probably just glue. Go out and use or for a good week or two with dirty fish hands and you won't notice it any more.
erik.ostrander

Postby Jason Klass » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:31 am

Is is just cosmetic or does the cork look degraded somehow? If it's just discoloration, it's probably nothing to worry about.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby tsegelke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:13 am

It looks to me like it is just part of the grain pattern. Remember, Cork is a harvested product, and the grain patterns and coloration is different from each piece. If the integrity of the handle is good, I would say that your rod has more character than most. Do you not like the look?
tsegelke

Postby achilles38 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:11 pm

thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure the discoloration wasn't a sign of a problem in either the cork or the adhesive. I prefer a cork that has some character and is not one color. I just didn't want the cork to fall off when I'm in Mammoth next week, especially while I'm catching a large brown trout, hopefully.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby adventureR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2800&p=20001#p20001

Linked to show my Yamame and wifes Iwana rod handles, your handle looks alot better then ours. My Yamame handle is particularly holey and full of filler. Both rod handles are very patchy and missing large pockets of cork. Your handle could be much worse. I've only seen three tenkara rods. Two of which are show in the link. I imagine most other rod handles are better quality then ours.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Go catch fish. The best cork preservative is fish slime :mrgreen:
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Return to Tenkara Rods