The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

No money for a Tenkara rod right now.

Discussion on tenkara rods

No money for a Tenkara rod right now.

Postby tenkara from scratch » Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 pm

So I mentioned in my last thread that I don't have any money for a Tenkara rod right now, but as soon as I begin working again I hope to buy one from Tenkara USA.

I have two options right now, and I was wondering what you all think would work best.

Option 1 - I've got a 13' telescoping panfish pole with a single metal tip. I could tie a furled leader to this and use it similar to how a Tenkara rod is used. It is pretty heavy and the butt is nearly an inch in diameter, I don't think this would feel anything like a Tenkara rod at all.

Option 2 - I've got an 8' 6" western-style fly rod. I was thinking about just tying some furled leader to the tip, but that might look pretty goofy. Another option was to tie off some fly line to the real seat and run it through the guides to about 6" past the tip of the rod, from there I could attach the furled leader to the fly line. The fly rod is smaller and lighter, and I think this would get me a more realistic Tenkara experience.

Any other ideas?
tenkara from scratch

Re: No money for a Tenkara rod right now.

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm

The longer telescopic rod will give you a closer feel to what tenkara is like.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tenkara from scratch » Wed May 30, 2012 11:21 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:The longer telescopic rod will give you a closer feel to what tenkara is like.

Really? Wow. Never would've thought that at all because of how "heavy duty" the rod is. Like I said, the but is about 1" thick. Glad I asked, thanks for the tip.

Just curious, has Tenkara USA ever considered a small rod for extremely small creeks? I've been doing a lot of reading, and I saw one rod that was about 7' long and I was pretty interested. Most of the creeks I fish, a 11'-13' would be perfect, but I can think of at least 2 creeks that a 6'-7' rod would be very helpful, at least for sections of the creek.

Tyler
tenkara from scratch

Postby tsegelke » Thu May 31, 2012 7:48 pm

I've been fishing some very small creeks this year, and am finding that the longer rod is not a hindrance. If I need to, I use a bow and arrow cast, and then the longer rod is much easier to reach very tight places.

Just my input.
tsegelke

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu May 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Tyler,
Indeed the telescoping rod you have in hand will not be the same as a tenkara rod. There are many types of telescopic rods, some heavier, some lighter. It may feel quite heavy and will not likely cast as well. Very hard to tell. But, between the two options mentioned, the longer rod with a fixed-length of line tied to the tip will be more similar to tenkara than a short rod.

The question of a shorter rod comes up pretty often, and as I always say if I make a 9ft tenkara rod it will become a best-seller instantly because it is not as "intimidating" to those who do western fly-fishing. However, a short rod has several drawbacks in stream fishing and does not provide for the same great experience as the longer tenkara rods. You really do want to use the longest rod you can. And, if you find yourself in a very tight spot, then hold it way above the handle, and maybe even collapse one segment to fish that spot.

A 7ft rod really would probably be way too short for a good tenkara experience (not to mention no versatility). A 10ft rod could be fished as a 7ft if needed.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tenkara from scratch » Thu May 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Tyler,
Indeed the telescoping rod you have in hand will not be the same as a tenkara rod. There are many types of telescopic rods, some heavier, some lighter. It may feel quite heavy and will not likely cast as well. Very hard to tell. But, between the two options mentioned, the longer rod with a fixed-length of line tied to the tip will be more similar to tenkara than a short rod.

The question of a shorter rod comes up pretty often, and as I always say if I make a 9ft tenkara rod it will become a best-seller instantly because it is not as "intimidating" to those who do western fly-fishing. However, a short rod has several drawbacks in stream fishing and does not provide for the same great experience as the longer tenkara rods. You really do want to use the longest rod you can. And, if you find yourself in a very tight spot, then hold it way above the handle, and maybe even collapse one segment to fish that spot.

A 7ft rod really would probably be way too short for a good tenkara experience (not to mention no versatility). A 10ft rod could be fished as a 7ft if needed.

You're the expert, it's just hard for me to believe that I could get into some brushy places with a rod that big. :D I don't mean that in a sarcastic tone either. If you tell me a longer rod is the rod I want, then I don't doubt you at all, obviously you know much better than I do. If you think that a shorter rod isn't necessary, then I won't bother searching for one.

I think the 13' Ayu will be the first rod I purchase from Tenkara USA. I really like soft rods with a ton of action, so it looks like that's the one I'll go with. Would you suggest something different?
tenkara from scratch

Postby Platinum321 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:56 pm

There are shorter tenkara rods the shortest I discovered was a 9 footer I also found an ten foot rod as well. Maybe they will produce one in the future here. I won't mention the name of the tenkara rod manufacturer but they look like extremely nice rods and were dern pricey. One of the famous in Japan tenkara fisherman (remain nameless as well) has his face attached to the advertisement of the rod. Maybe that is why the high price but I doubt it as this manufacturer is like orvis here. Overpriced in general. LOL
Platinum321

Postby NewTyer1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 am

You don't want to just tie a line only on the tip of a rod either because the rod is made to spread the force of the line evenly across the whole rod, otherwise you will snap you tip, they (tip tops)break easily. PM sent
NewTyer1

Postby rsetina » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm

I have to say that I purchased the conversion handle for the Iwana so I'd have a shorter rod for a couple of creeks here where I live, but I found I don't use it as often as I thought and when I did, I felt it was too short. Go figure. I should have listened to Daniel. ;) I mat still use it on other creeks I don't normally fish, but for now it sits in the tube it came in. You'd be surprised at how long of a rod you can fish on a brushy creek.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Tenkara Rods