The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Ideas for the perfect rod...hope you're listening TenkaraUSA

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Ideas for the perfect rod...hope you're listening Tenkar

Postby Karl Klavon » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is another vote for a stiffer action Ito rod. Also, either on the rods from the factory or made available as an accessory, a protective rubber butt cap with the Tenkara emblem molded into it just like on the metal butt caps. The rubber butt caps I made myself lack the emblem but work just fine in keeping the metal cap from getting scratched up. I do not think it would be too tough to drill out your own drain hole or holes in your butt caps, but again a factory produced drain would be cleaner and a lot nicer for most of us as many of us lack the necessary equipment to do this kind of work. Possibly butt caps with the drain holes and matching rubber protectors could be offered as a complete unit and or also sold separately for those who do not wish to have the whole ball of wax.
Karl Klavon

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 pm

GregM wrote:+1 on a stiffer 14.5' (Ito or otherwise).

I change my mind and have found I really like the flex and feel of the Ito as it is now.

Of course an Ito "Mini" that is 9.5' on shortest length and 11.5' on its longest length would be a cool rod to have, same flex as and all. :P

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Aaron Proffitt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 am

erik.ostrander wrote:A stiffer version of the Ito. Love the length of the Ito, but sometimes it's just too noodly. It'd be nice to have something a little crisper.

Agreed completely...
Aaron Proffitt

Postby Eddie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:22 am

Cutting off a part of a rod tip makes the rod stiffer.

If anyone is skeptical about it, try to remove the rod tip and swing the rod. I am sure it will be stiffer than one with the rod tip. So you can make your rod up to such stiffness by cutting off a certain part of the rod tip.

Try to make your one and only rod.
Eddie

Postby Fin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:31 pm

I'm having a blast with my new 12' Iwana (sometimes with the 9'4" stiffer handle add on) - so here's my current wish list:

A telescopic Iwana from it's current 12', same action, to a 13'6" softer action. Also incorporate the 9'4" handle in the package.

Colour would be matt black with olive accents.

This, two tube rig, would give you a 7:3 action short rod , through to a soft 6:4, or perhaps a 5:5 long rod, with a "medium" 12', 6:4 as the standard set up.

Make it so, number one!
Fin

Postby tntom » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Guy's I tell you what I think I have the perfect Tenkara rod The Iwana 12 seems to be a do it all rod. I fished a blue line last week and the 12' was no problem but it let me fish pocket water without spooking wild fish. I have a Iwana 11 but the 12 is the rod that is in my hans most of the time.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby RyanH » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Fin wrote:I'm having a blast with my new 12' Iwana (sometimes with the 9'4" stiffer handle add on) - so here's my current wish list:

A telescopic Iwana from it's current 12', same action, to a 13'6" softer action. Also incorporate the 9'4" handle in the package.

Colour would be matt black with olive accents.

This, two tube rig, would give you a 7:3 action short rod , through to a soft 6:4, or perhaps a 5:5 long rod, with a "medium" 12', 6:4 as the standard set up.

Make it so, number one!

Then they wouldn't sell any other rods :lol:

It sounds perfect! Just what I would need. I still think I may go with the 12' Iwana and then get the shorter handle.
RyanH

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods