The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Ideas for the perfect rod...hope you're listening TenkaraUSA

Discussion on tenkara rods

Ideas for the perfect rod...hope you're listening TenkaraUSA

Postby docdinh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:32 pm

I'm interested to know what would be on people's wish list for a future Tenkara USA rod or accessories. Especially from people who have fished some of the Japanese rods.

Here is my wish list -
1 - an "on the rod" line holding system custom by Tenkara USA rather than macguyvered/tinkered together. Something like the Tenkara Guides use - their setup uses an ez keeper at the top of the collapsed rod and a home made washer that screws onto the bottom cap that sticks out just enough to wrap line around the ez keeper and then the bottom washer. The fly is held in place by rolling a thin black rubber ring over the hook to hold it in place. Since you wrap about a foot of line at a time it stows much faster and you can relocate and start fishing much faster. I like the round line keepers for storing other setups but, if I'm moving a lot it slows me down to wrap around the small spool and the line has more coils in it.
2 - a top plug that already has a loop tied in it so I can secure it to my lanyard or clip it to a caribiner. They are easy to lose.
3 - all bottom plugs with a drain hole and a washer system like the Ito that keeps in more securely screwed in. Trying to remember to constantly tighten it while or before fishing is more than my brain can handle. Yes, I have lost one of these also.
4 - Custom color combos - I really like the AYU striped look, but it is not offered on the ITO. I get that the new rods are being more stealthy but the AYU look is like racing stripes - it may not make you go any faster or catch more fish but it looks stunning on film and in pictures.
5 - Tenkara USA's next rod should also have the telescoping feature - it is incredible. Offer it on smaller rods like 9ft extends to 11 ft...etc.
docdinh

Re: Ideas for the perfect rod...hope you're listening Tenkar

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:42 pm

#4 would be an inventory nightmare and I doubt Daniel would consider that. I think the other ideas are good and it wouldn't surprise me if Tenkara USA is already working on some of these.

BTW, I had a similar thread on my blog if you're interested in seeing some of the comments people left there:

http://www.tenkaratalk.com/2012/03/the- ... nkara-rod/

I would also definitely like to see more zoom rods come out.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby scorpion1971 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:51 am

I would like a longer rod. At least 15ft or possibly 17ft. If you could take the Amago and have 2 different handle add-ons like for the Iwana. One to shorten and one to lengthen.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby jd_smith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm

I want a 13' Iwana. Enough said. Light, nimble, accurate 6:4...yeah.

The other ideas don't appeal to me. A built in line keeper is just extra weight. It cant be made into the graphite so it would have to be glued on or hey I got an idea :idea: you could use a couple of O rings to hold it in place :? . Spools or EZ keepers work great for me.

I have a pocket to keep my top plug in, and so far in almost 3 years never lost one. Probably loose one tomorrow though, just because I said that :lol: .

The Idea of a hole in the bottom plug is not a bad idea, but if water can get out of it, it can also get in, along with sand and grit. An O ring on the threaded part of the bottom plug is a great idea. I do like that feature of the Ito.

As far as I can tell all of the rods have their own color code. And as far as it being an inventory nightmare it is more likely a blessing.
Ebisu: Gloss black
Ayu: Gloss black with green accents
Iwana's: Graphite wrap scrim with brown accents
Amago: Mat black
Ito: Mat black with blue accents
Yamame: Mat olive
Yep their all different color combos.

All I want for Christmas is an 13' Iwana. Oh yeah, with an O ring on the bottom plug...Simple.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Tenkara Elevated » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:22 pm

I think if we start putting easy keeper and the like on tenkara rods then whats next a reel? I do agree that the stoppers can get lost easy but I keep a compartment empty in my fly box for it so it is out the way. Zoom rods from 9 to 11 feet would be awesome I must admit. As for the color I have never been into flash because we have a saying in Hawaii "all show and no go" meaning I would much rather have a rod that can catch fish and handles well then some shiny flashy rod that looks good but functions like a something found in the fishing department at walmart. Great topic however I really enjoyed your ideas and am curious to what Daniel would say about it.
Tenkara Elevated

Postby erik.ostrander » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:32 pm

A stiffer version of the Ito. Love the length of the Ito, but sometimes it's just too noodly. It'd be nice to have something a little crisper.
erik.ostrander

Postby jd_smith » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Good point ERik. I like it. Add me to that list too.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby GregM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm

+1 on a stiffer 14.5' (Ito or otherwise).
GregM

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 pm

erik.ostrander wrote:A stiffer version of the Ito. Love the length of the Ito, but sometimes it's just too noodly. It'd be nice to have something a little crisper.

+1

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:59 pm

HwnstyleBC wrote: Great topic however I really enjoyed your ideas and am curious to what Daniel would say about it.

He would say one word, "Ito".

:D

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods