The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago handle

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Amago handle

Postby goneflyfishing » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Tom - that is the "old" Amago, the "new" Amago sports the same handle as the Iwana. As per Daniel, there will be a handle upgrade in the near future.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby tntom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:43 pm

goneflyfishing wrote:Tom - that is the "old" Amago, the "new" Amago sports the same handle as the Iwana. As per Daniel, there will be a handle upgrade in the near future.

Oh, I didn't know it is the new handle I knew the new Amago has a new handle It looks much better. I don't think I will invest in a new handle I am going to build the old one up with some cork tape from Feather Craft. If I still don't like it I will sell it and buy the new rod I think you posted that the new Amago is better looking all round. The Amago is a MUST HAVE rod for me.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby CM_Stewart » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:00 am

tntom wrote:The Amago is a MUST HAVE rod for me.

Because of the length or because of the backbone?
CM_Stewart

Postby tntom » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:33 am

CM_Stewart wrote:
tntom wrote:The Amago is a MUST HAVE rod for me.

Because of the length or because of the backbone?

Both I use it for tailwater where I need length for reach on large water and the backbone helps turn over indicator and 2 flies. I also use it for poppers the backbone helps there also.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby vivid_fly » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I have purchased an AMAGO and will admit the first day I had some hand fatigue. I continue to fish for the next 20 days straight. I fish about 4-6 hours a day and have learned to cast more efficiently and slow down considerably. Thus the hand fatigue has ceased to exist. My handle is very small O.D. looking like the older models design. Keeping your hand close to the body and not trying to stretch out for a further cast in my case has helped to end this condition.

After fishing for 2 months ... M - F for about 4-6 hours a day the Amago has become lighter in weight and the 6:4 action feels more like 5:5 now.

I fished my friends IWANA and that really feels like a cloud in your hand.

Just my experience on this matter.

chuck
AMAGO 13'6"
YAMAME 12'
IWANA 12'
vivid_fly

Previous

Return to Tenkara Rods