The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago handle

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Amago handle

Postby Jason Klass » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:17 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Stay tuned for Amago handle changes. Rods will come first (2-3weeks), handle sections to follow (1-2months)

Nice! Ask and ye shall receive! :)
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby GregM » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:48 am

Cork tape might be an option for adding a little girth to the handle...

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... ape-per-ft

As mentioned in the video 100', 50' or by the foot.

(If you search on 'cork tape' you'll get the selection page)
GregM

Postby goneflyfishing » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:Stay tuned for Amago handle changes. Rods will come first (2-3weeks), handle sections to follow (1-2months)

I see that "new" Amago with updated handle is now available. It looks like it's the same as the handle for the Iwana, is that correct?
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby pechelman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 am

goneflyfishing wrote:

I see that "new" Amago with updated handle is now available. It looks like it's the same as the handle for the Iwana, is that correct?

I havent compared them side by side with calipers, but the profiles are the same.
The new amago handle feels a little larger in diameter. Not sure if thats due to an optical illusion due to the blank being a bigger diameter or if its actually the cork grip. Either way, same profile, very comfortable, multiple positions.

I see you're in highlands ranch too. I'm up in denver if you'd like to cast it.
pechelman

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:25 am

pechelman-
Thanks for the offer. I would imagine the blank is the same or else Daniel couldn't offer a replacement grip/handle with the new cork to be used on the "older" Amago's. Glad to hear it appears to be the same grip as on the Iwana, however, my preferred choice would have been the same cork grip as on the Ito.
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby pechelman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

Point of clarification;

When I was commenting about the blank sizes, I was saying that the amago blank is larger than the 12' iwana blank, and thus perhaps causing me to think the new amago grip might be bigger than the iwana grip....despite being identical profiles.

I too like the Ito grip. I think it may have been a little more suited on the amago since it feels like and is such a substantial rod. Either way, I'm very excited to entice some large cheesman trout with it this season :)
Last edited by pechelman on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pechelman

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 am

pechelman wrote:Either way, I'm very excited to entice some large cheesman trout with it this season :)

:twisted:
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:20 am

I decided to sell the "original" Amago and order the new one; got it yesterday in the mail (along with the new green t-shirt and the 13' 3g furled line). I am very excited and hope it won't be too long before I can use it.

I noticed that the Amago changed besides having a "better" grip (for me at least) the cosmetics just a bit - each segment but the top two have a nice little silver accent band. I like the looks a lot!
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 am

The Amago and Ito handle are the same. For reference I put in an Ito handle.

In this photo, the only difference is that one is used much more, and one has been used less.
erik.ostrander

Postby tntom » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 pm

erik.ostrander wrote:The Amago and Ito handle are the same. For reference I put in an Ito handle.

In this photo, the only difference is that one is used much more, and one has been used less.

My Amago handle don't look like any of those. It has a bump on the end and the rest is straight and it's too small.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods