The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago handle

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: Amago handle

Postby Anthony » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:43 am

Karel - or anyone interested in splitting these? $26 for all 4 - They are unfinished so you would have to contour them yourself (which I want to do anyway). I'll buy them and ship one or two to you if you're interested.

grips.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NAT-CORK-STICKS-HANDLE-GRIPS-14-X11-4-EXTRA-RINGS-BORE-1-4-/220976984231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33734130a7
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:20 am

I might be interested but I don't have the tools to contour and/or shape it myself. Also I noticed they are 1.25" in dia. whereas the thickest part on the Iwana or Ito handles (which I like very much) is exactly 1". Now, if Daniel would sell, or provide the source of, the Ito or Iwana handles, I would buy one of those.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Anthony » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:44 am

I just use a piece of threaded rod, a hand drill and a series of sandpapers- you could probably get a rasp to do the quick rough in.

I use washers and nuts to hold the grip onto the threaded rod and then clamp it into the drill on one end and I have a v-notched board to rest the other end of the rod in if i need to- primitive yes but it works.

jd's handle idea (using salmon rod grip) would probably require a lot less shaping though.

I too like the Iwana handles quite a bit.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby tntom » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:57 pm

jd_smith wrote:Hi Karel,

I know the feeling. I hope this doesn't offend anybody here, especially Daniel, but I've never been fond of the Amago's handle. Mine was very slim along the entire length of it except for the bulge at the butt end. The majority of it was about as big around as my index finger. It felt like I was making a fist while holding it in any place other than the butt.

What I did to make it more to my liking was to cut off the entire grip and put a new grip on it. I used the rear grip for a salmon/stealhead rod. The new grip is 12'' in length and feels much better in my hand with less fatigue.

It's a pretty easy process. You'll need a very sharp knife, a new grip to your liking, or a grip that is fatter than you need so you can sand it down in the certain places that will fit it to your hand. Grips for salmon and stealhead rods work well for the retrofit, and give you the extra cork to work with to get a custom fit. You will also need some epoxy to glue the new handle onto the blank, some fine sand paper. And last but not least some 90% isopropyl alcohol and some rags to clean up any seeping epoxy

Remove the butt cap and all other pieces of the rod. Carefully cut off the old cork using caution to not cut into the rod blank, always cutting away from your self. Gently remove the winding check. Measure the length of the new handle next to the blank and make a mark with some tape. Do your best to clean off most of the old cork and epoxy from the blank and then gently sand it to get rid of the rough spots. Be careful not to sand above the tape mark or you will have scuff marks visible on the rod above the grip. You can then use a round file or a cork reamer tool found at a rod building supplier such as Anglers Workshop, or Mud Hole, to ream out the center of the grip to fit over the rod. Take off a little at a time so you don't take of too much (you can always take off more but you cant put it back). Once you've reamed it to fit, mix the epoxy and distribute well along the blank below the tape. Remove the tape and put the handle on, starting from the rod tip slid the grip into place and give it a 360* turn to distribute the epoxy. With a toothpick put a drop or two of epoxy at the top of the grip and add the winding check. Use the alcohol and rags to clean up. Do not let any glue get into the threads at the butt. Let it dry checking a couple times to make sure it stays put, and your done. Give it a day then put it back together and go fishing.

Rick's suggestion of rattan is another alternative and will add a little bit more girth but not much. It will be difficult to get a good wrap at the bulge but with care it can be done.

These are my retrofitted handles for my Iwana and Amago. The Iwana has rattan with fine copper wire in the valleys. The Amago is fitted with a rear grip for a salmon rod. I put it on backwards with the butt of the grip at the front of the rod.

JD

I really like the looks of the rattan. Did you glue the rattan on over the Iwana cork and where can you buy it?

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby ischua » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:55 pm

This might fit the bill all you need to do is change the rope size to get what you want.

http://itsknotart.wordpress.com/categor ... ts/page/2/
I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them. (From the movie The Shootist staring John Wayne)
ischua

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:22 pm

Stay tuned for Amago handle changes. Rods will come first (2-3weeks), handle sections to follow (1-2months)
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jd_smith » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Last edited by jd_smith on Sun May 20, 2012 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Darrin Terry » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:16 pm

For anyone seriously entertaining the idea of re-handling their Amago, who is wondering how to make a new grip without a lathe, go to Youtube and look up 'Cork lathe for Fly Rod'. There is a video pasted by a user named '12345garyp' where a friend of mine (Pete) is turning a cork blank on a home made cork lathe. The lathe is made with 2x4s and a hand drill, a steel rod for the shaft to mount the cork.

Pretty cool lathe which was made by another friend of mine named Jon.

There is a short discussion about it here: http://www.kernriverflyfishing.com/cgi- ... 1331092013

Hope that helps if anyone is thinking about doing this.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby goneflyfishing » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:37 am

Daniel - how timely!

Darrin - thanks for the link!
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Darrin Terry » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:12 am

Another option for wrapping the grip for those of you that find it too thin is Coban tape. For any that don't know what Coban is, it is a self adhesive stretchy tape used in the medical industry for bandage wrap. It is available in several colors. I've a friend who has taken to wrapping all of his fly rod grips with it and seems to like it. I use it on other things occasionally myself. I picked some up in black a week or two back at Dick's Sporting Goods. It was not in the fishing dept. but near there and was called 'Fisherman's Stretch Wrap' and the package says this company makes it in blue, black, red, tan, green, yellow, pink, lime green and purple.

I have some wrapped around a solid stainless steel handle which could be uncomfortable to use and it now feels like a grippy, slightly bumpy cork. The wrapped handle also has a firmness similar to cork.

Just another idea.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods