The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Amago handle

Discussion on tenkara rods

Amago handle

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 pm

When fishing my Amago, I noticed hand fatigue or even cramping, something that does not happen with any other tenkara rod I fish with. I suspect this might have to do with the Amage handle being thinner than most of the rods, so I was thinking "thicken" the handle but a bit at a loss how (and without completely destroying the cosmetics/looks of the rod).

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers, Karel
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Re: Amago handle

Postby rsetina » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:53 pm

I wonder how a rattan wrapping would look? It would keep the shape of the original handle and one wrap would make the handle thicker. I think someone here removed the original handle and replaced it with rattan or something similar.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby goneflyfishing » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi Rick, thanks. I remember that post, I wonder how that turned out.
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby jd_smith » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Last edited by jd_smith on Sun May 20, 2012 6:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby CuriousLayman » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 am

Very nice! I really like my Amago, but I too don't like the handle very much. I do love the handle on my Iwana and I understand that the different length and weight of the rod probably calls for a different design. But when I fish the Amago I always wish it had the Iwana handle design.
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 am

JD - thanks so much for the tutorial. Reading it I realized it's basically rod building 1-on-1 and since I built about a dozen "western" fly rods I am familiar with the steps of installing the grip so that should not be a big deal. The one thing I might need your additional advice on is how to remove the winding check, those are typically glued in place with epoxy.
Cheers, Karel
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby Jason Klass » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:16 am

goneflyfishing wrote:When fishing my Amago, I noticed hand fatigue or even cramping, something that does not happen with any other tenkara rod I fish with. I suspect this might have to do with the Amage handle being thinner than most of the rods, so I was thinking "thicken" the handle but a bit at a loss how (and without completely destroying the cosmetics/looks of the rod).

Cheers, Karel

This rod wrap would allow you to thicken the handle where you want it: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-X ... 4037/57790

And if you ever want to remove it, it won't damage the cork grip. I've seen some anglers in Japan wrap their rods with something like this. It's ugly but I bet it's really comfortable.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby Anthony » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:19 am

Yes, I definitely want a contoured grip on my Amago too - I noticed that I wanted it the first time out (hand fatigue!). I'm definitely going to retro-fit the handle on my Amago. I hadn't considered the entire removal though. But, after your post above jd, that looks like the way to go - why mess around. I've built rods too so it should be easy like you point out. I too am curious how hard it was to get the winding check off?

In the mean time I'm going to do do some testing. My plan is to wind the handle with some kind of twine to contour it and test various shapes. If I'm going to do it I want to get the shape just right.

A friend of mine makes a "hammer-handle" style grip for all of his bamboo rods, so I might try to test something like that out. Basically it's a non-circular cross-section, more like an oval. It feels great in the hand - not sure how it will be with a tenkara grip though.

Also, this may be sacrilege, but I'm going to use some lead core line wound on the grip, and test the effect of a little counter weighing on the butt-end of the grip. It's obviously the un-balance of the long rod that is a main cause of the problem. So I thought a little counter-balance might be just the ticket. Even with added weight the whole deal will still be lighter than a rod, reel and line.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby Anthony » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:21 am

jasonklass wrote:
goneflyfishing wrote:When fishing my Amago, I noticed hand fatigue or even cramping, something that does not happen with any other tenkara rod I fish with. I suspect this might have to do with the Amage handle being thinner than most of the rods, so I was thinking "thicken" the handle but a bit at a loss how (and without completely destroying the cosmetics/looks of the rod).

Cheers, Karel

This rod wrap would allow you to thicken the handle where you want it: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-X ... 4037/57790

And if you ever want to remove it, it won't damage the cork grip. I've seen some anglers in Japan wrap their rods with something like this. It's ugly but I bet it's really comfortable.

Jason - you must have posted this while I was typing - I think I'll order some, thanks for the linkage
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:26 am

jasonklass wrote:This rod wrap would allow you to thicken the handle where you want it: http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-X ... 4037/57790 ... It's ugly but I bet it's really comfortable.

Thanks Jason, but I probably go the route of JD, I don't think I can't get myself to fish with a handle like that, lol. Well, not yet.

Anthony - yes, some weight for counterbalance would probably help too.
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods