Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

10' Iwana anybody?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Re: 10' Iwana anybody? - ACTUALLY 9ft4in

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am

Everyone: I made a bad mistake in regards to defining the length of the Iwana with the new add-on handle for the Iwana rod. It is actually 9ft4inches
:oops:

As Chris probably knows by now I must have some undiagnosed dyslexia or something similar. Often I get a number stuck in my head and that's the number I carry on with, often without double checking (e.g. on my last trip to Japan I had this idea that my flight would leave at 2PM, I had that number stuck in my head, big time and never bothered checking for the exact time or anything....until 9:00AM when I went to print out the ticket....well, it turned out the flight was supposed to leave at 11AM! It was a super speedy drive to the airport and I just very barely made it.... That was not the first time something very similar happened to me, it was not even just the second time).

Well, long story to explain my screw up this time. I had in mind all along an add-on handle for the Iwana that would make it into 10ft, a length I consider very appropriate (i.e. not too short). That number was stuck in my head. I do not know how this happened, where I missed it, and such, but suffice it to say it is NOT a 10ft rod with the shortest handle - it is.....a 9ft4in rod.

And, according to Chris I may have been slightly off on my weight spec for the rod with that handle. I had said 2.1oz, which is what I get with my postal scale - my precision micro scale broke a while ago and I haven't gotten one yet. Without the plug, which is how Chris weighted his, I get 2.0oz, but he got 1.9oz.

Chris' post: http://www.tenkarabum.com/nine-foot-iwana.html

So, there you have it. Merry Christmas for everyone who wanted a 9ft rod! :oops:

For those of you who purchased it based on the 10ft spec, if you expected that to be the case, and are unhappy with the "deception", please forgive me and let me know if I can make it up for that.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:22 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:
For those of you who purchased it based on the 10ft spec, if you expected that to be the case, and are unhappy with the "deception", please forgive me and let me know if I can make it up for that.

I think it will be opposite, people are going to be stoked about a 9' Iwana. I know I am.

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Jason Klass » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:15 pm

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:

I think it will be opposite, people are going to be stoked about a 9' Iwana. I know I am.

tj

I think so too. Everyone was asking for a nine ft. rod anyway and you gave it to them (whether you meant to or not). LOL.
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Re: 10' Iwana anybody?

Postby Stephen McGowen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Daniel.....TUSA is consistent. My 11' and 12' Iwanas are inches short of their stated length . I don't see the problem......they say that "less is more".
The 12' Iwana is sublime no matter what length it actually is and it is thoroughly enjoyable onstream.
Stephen McGowen

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:46 pm

OK, now to the nitty gritty, anyone cast it yet?

Daniel? TenkaraBum? What lines have you cast with it, length, line wt, etc...

Wondering if a 16' Level Line + 4' Tippet would be too much for the 9ft rod? Maybe 12' + 4' Tippet would be better.

Wanted to see what others have used.

tj

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby masjc1 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:54 pm

And the 11'?
Mark

"I have laid aside business and gone a fishing"

Izaak Walton
masjc1

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:17 pm

masjc1 wrote:And the 11'?

You mean the Iwana 10' 6"?
CM_Stewart

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Today at lunch I decided to convert my Iwana 12' Series I into the 9' Iwana. Then I loaded her up with the newer gen 3 traditional line with 4' 5x tippet and an orange salmon egg fly with the hook cut off. Mush easier for my old eyes to see.

Practiced casting for a little while and was fun. Bit rusty since I last fished mid November and have not played much with my rods since then. With the sun out today before a little spritz comes tonight and tomorrow, figured now was the time to play with the rod.

Man is this thing lite. I think for fishing within 20' this rod will be sweet. I need to try some level line on it but wanted to try it first with the gen 3 line just to see how it cast.

I only had 15 minutes before work came a call'n but at least I was able to test for a few.

Anyone else practice or better yet, fished their 9' Iwana yet?

tj

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby statikpunk » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 am

I have not had mine out on the water yet, but I did take it down to the park next to my house and made a few casts to get a feel for it.
so anyway, the pro's are that it is amazingly light, which is exactly what I bought it for, its going to be my extreme ultralight backpacking kit.

my problem with it, is that its amazingly light! I was having a hard time casting it with a 3.5 lvl line. I felt like I couldtn feel the rod. for me I think this one is going to take a little getting used to. but once I get it down i think its gonna work great for the high elevation mountain creeks I have scoped out for it.

I think the resistance of picking the fly out of the water will really help with the feel of the rod when casting. I also think using a little longer line like a 1.5 length would help with that.
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 am

statikpunk, after you fish with it for a while it will no longer be too light to feel. You will get used to it.

Personally, I don't think I would never fish a 9' rod with a 13' line. I would be much more likely to fish a 13' rod with a 9' line. If the stream was too tight for a 13' rod, which is why you were using the 9 footer, I suspect it would probably be too tight for the longer line as well. If the only problem was the overhead canopy, then I might, but I doubt it.

Also, much as I prefer level lines, you might want a tapered line with that rod. That will also help you feel the rod (because in general they are much heavier lines).
CM_Stewart

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Rods