Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Posts on alternative rods

Discussion on tenkara rods

Posts on alternative rods

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:03 pm

I appreciate the enthusiasm for discussing tenkara, and different, non-conventional rods for tenkara-like fishing. But, the foremost goal of this site is to introduce folks to "pure tenkara", i.e. tenkara as it is or was practiced in Japan. Before I introduced tenkara to countries outside of Japan, one could not find the equipment. However, I have worked hard to introduce the concept, as well as very high quality equipment, vouched and approved by tenkara masters in Japan.

While there is nothing wrong with using some of the rods proposed here previously for general fishing, they are not tenkara rods and they are not a solution I would advise - not only because of the business I created to introduce the sport in the US, which needs people to buy my rods, but mostly because I do not want folks to think any rod is totally fine, and then get a lesser experience. There is a reason tenkara anglers in Japan do not use other telescopic rods for tenkara, even though anglers in Japan have the easiest access to most types of "tenkara-like" rods (i.e. telescopic rods) - walk into any Japanese tackle store, or browse their catalogs and you'll find dozens and dozens of telescopic rods, yet no tenkara angler will ever buy a bait rod for tenkara fishing (as most fly anglers do not buy a spinning rod for fly-fishing).

Further, I would appreciate if you guys kept in mind that I created this business to introduce others to tenkara. To continue introducing people to the wonderful practice of traditional tenkara, I need your support in promoting our products. Thus, I will be removing posts with links to non-tenkara rods, and unfortunately I have to remove competitors' links too. Though not the ideal solution, and not something that makes me happiest (as I do want to keep the forum open) I hope you will understand.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Posts on alternative rods

Postby rsetina » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:24 pm

I see your point Daniel. Members of the board need to realize that even though this is an open forum we should remember that the forum is connected to your business and posting links to other sites that sell Tenkara or Tenkara like rods hurts your business. I think your request is quite reasonable. I imagined myself in your shoes and I'd do the same as would anyone else in your position. It's a great forum and thanks for creating it.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby papa d » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 pm

I totally agree with what has been done by Daniel and also what Rick in his post said.
papa d

Postby wrknapp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:29 am

Hear, hear. It is the very reason I have never mentioned another competitor's product by name on this site nor given a link to such a product. This is a commercial site dedicated to one man's vision and products he has developed to support it. There are plenty of other blogs and forums to discuss other fishing tackle and methods. I wouldn't go into an Orvis store and tell customers where they could find TFO rods at a cheaper price, nor would I talk about the fish I caught with my Walmart spinning rod. Think about it.

Daniel,

Please feel free to delete or edit out any posts I have made for any reason, including any mentioning of any competing product you feel may hurt your sales including tippet materials and flies.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:22 am

Thank you guys for the comments and understanding. It means a lot to me to be part of a forum that is so easy to belong to!

Randy, not a problem at all on past posts, as I haven't seen anything that I felt was wrong, and I have noticed your discretion with your posts, and truly appreciate that.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Ahnkochee » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:21 pm

My apologies Daniel for posting the link to the short UK "Gudgeon" rods, did not think it would cause any harm since nobody makes or sells Tenkara rods 2.5 meters or less so not competing with any of your products. I saw several posts desiring a shorter rod so thought what a perfect way for someone to try one without butchering an expensive Tenkara rod. I can see your point though that some Tenkara nOOb may get the wrong first impressions of Tenkara if starting with a Gudgeon rod. Post was directed to those who already owned a Tenkara rod and wanted to experiment.
I shall post my first impressions of my new non-Tenkara USA rod elsewhere. I consider this rod just a stepping stone to a Tenkara USA Amago rod. Again, my apologies, did not mean to step on any toes.
Best wishes to you, and your business.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ahnkochee

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:57 pm

It really is not a problem, and I didn't mean to make you feel bad about it at all. I struggled with deciding what to do, and since there was nothing posted about this type of thing before no one is to blame. I just wanted to post that before things started getting out of hand with everyone thinking that other $10 rods were the solution, which I don't think they are. I thank you for posting them, and I think the people who had an interest got a chance to read it.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby heineken » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 am

I also mentioned the possabillity to use a simple 13 feet telescopic rod ment for coarse fishing to try out tenkara . In fact I did just that last summer in Norway.
I had a great time but quickly realised that I fel in love with this style of fishing and that the time had come to buy myself a real Tenkara usa rod to be able to experiance original tenkara fishing and casting.
In short and in fact( I was trying to get more people hooked on tenkara , and then sending them staight to you Daniel for the real stuff.) I respect what you are doing and am trying to promote tenkara in holland. I know that there is a growing interest in The Netherlands. Hiking &
cycling are very popular here and many Dutch people go abroad in the summer and a tenkara outfit is the ultimate light fishing gear to take along, catch yourself a fish at the end of the day for a meal.
If in the future there is any need for a Tenkara USA agent in holland let me know.!!! :lol:
Best regards.
Hein van Vlaenderen
heineken

Postby Tenkara Ape » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Daniel, I agree with everything you said and understand your reasoning completely. Having now read every blog post you published, most of the threads in the forum and having watched every video featuring you on YouTube, I'm ready to buy my first TenkaraUSA outfit. My only question is would you prefer me to buy it directly from you or is it OK to go through one of your authorized dealers, like Orvis or Mossy Creek? I want to support you and your business so if you would, let me know whatever is better for you and your company and I'll be guided accordingly. Thanks...
Tenkara Ape

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Tenkara Ape wrote:Daniel, I agree with everything you said and understand your reasoning completely. Having now read every blog post you published, most of the threads in the forum and having watched every video featuring you on YouTube, I'm ready to buy my first TenkaraUSA outfit. My only question is would you prefer me to buy it directly from you or is it OK to go through one of your authorized dealers, like Orvis or Mossy Creek? I want to support you and your business so if you would, let me know whatever is better for you and your company and I'll be guided accordingly. Thanks...

Hi Tenkara Ape,

I am sure Daniel would answer this the same way, that you are welcome to buy from where you feel most comfortable doing so. Whether buying from us directly or from one of our fine dealers like Orvis or a local dealer, all methods are fine for us. Supporting dealers is supporting us at the same time and your local dealer is a great place to get direct local help so always keep them in mind.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods