Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hypothetical "effective" shortest and longest Tenkara Rod?

Discussion on tenkara rods

Hypothetical "effective" shortest and longest Tenkara Rod?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Thinking about rod lengths, I wonder what the shortest and longest Tenkara Rods could be that still could effectively work fishing Tenkara style? Is there a point of ineffectiveness of a rod too short or too long for the average fisherman and what would that be.

Example, would a 8' or maybe 9' 5/5 Rod work? Have enough length to properly cast a fly? Same goes for longest. Is 15' that magic longest rod one could make and use effectively unless you are like a 7' Shaq-attack or a 3' Mini Me for the shorty? - insert in your brain here a picture of MiniMe casting a Tenkara 15' rod. 8-)

Curious what you all think are the shortest and longest we may see in the near future.

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Hypothetical "effective" shortest and longest Tenkara Rod?

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Just posted a reply to your other thread. A short rod offers little advantages to fishing streams, IMHO, and a 11' rod is probably the shortest I will ever want to use (still manageable in places I want to fish), so not very likely to offer a shorter rod in the near future.
A long rod has a lot of advantages, but the longer it is the harder it is to get the balance just right and make it comfortable for a full day of casting. The design, R&D and elements become more expensive too. But, I'd say we're getting very close now. I have been working on something longer for about 1 year now....
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby papa d » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:47 pm

Im thinking a 15ft or so 7/3 or maybe 6/4 would be awesome lake or pond rod. I just might hold off buying an Amago or Yarmame now for abit. Cant fish anyway, every-things froze over till spring anyhow.
Even the very fast flowing 1/4 mile wide river flowing through town is froze over. Although i wouldn't try walking on it. One or two die on it every year. No wading so extra length rod would help there too.
papa d

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:53 pm

Too bad the Hane was not a 6/4 or 5/5. I have never fished a 7/3 but for some reason think it would be way to stiff for me. I really liked my 6/4 Iwana.

15' will be great for the long stuff. Would like to have that with a 25' line and will be happy.

tj
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby papa d » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 pm

Im thinking a 15ft would have at least two extra sections over a Ayu/Amago so 7/3 might not feel so stiff. Not that i would know as i havnt even tried a 6/4. :?
papa d

Postby Owl Jones » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:04 am

I'm not going to keep saying it, but short rods can be the only effective means of fishing on some streams. Not every stream in America is a boulder strewn, open-sky cathedral of a watershed. ;)

I think you guys need to expand your definitions of "small stream."

Either way, I guess that's the last post i make about it. I'll just have to read how short rods aren't good for anything and move on....no sense beating a dead horse.
Owl Jones

Postby rsetina » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:28 am

Owl Jones wrote:I'm not going to keep saying it, but short rods can be the only effective means of fishing on some streams. Not every stream in America is a boulder strewn, open-sky cathedral of a watershed. ;)

I think you guys need to expand your definitions of "small stream."

Either way, I guess that's the last post i make about it. I'll just have to read how short rods aren't good for anything and move on....no sense beating a dead horse.

You might be right about expanding our small stream ideas. I wouldn't rule out a smaller rod in the future. I didn't think a 15' rod would be made but it looks like I'm wrong. So don't stop beating the horse forever. You might beat the right area and it's heart will start beating again. You aren't the only one who'd like to see one so you not alone Owl. It might just take a little longer than you wish it would.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby ToddW » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:59 pm

I think Owl has a good point. I hate to regionalize this, but in the midwest we have some "cricks" that are 3 ft. across that have trout in them. A shorter rod would be handy on some of these brush and grass covered gems. It may seem like a specialized situation, but if your home creek is one of these, it may be useful as an everyday rod. A happy and fish-filled New Year to all!
ToddW

Postby Ahnkochee » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:43 pm

Some of the streams here are literally in rain forest jungle with Hau trees forming a tunnel over the streams. I usually fished these with a 5' ultralight rod sometimes having to squat to get a cast in. Shorter is the only way to fish in many streams here.

Edit: In thinking over my situation I don't even think a short Tenkara rod would work in the traditional sense, I think the line would need to be short and fished with a dabbing technique. I think certain terrain calls for special equipment, and in my situation the 4.5 to 5 feet length ultralight spinning rods may be the best tool for the job. Fish the Tenkara in traditional more open Tenkara terrain? Maybe. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ahnkochee on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ahnkochee

Postby troutrageous1 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:08 pm

Okay Daniel. Looks like you have 5 or 6 customers ready to buy shorty rods in this thread alone. Is that enough to get that factory overseas crankin' out rods?

If not, I'm going to buy your replacement tip sections for $7, slap a handle on the bottom third and start selling 4' "small stream specials."

Yes, that was a joke...well...kind of...
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Next

Return to Tenkara Rods