Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Postby DNicolson » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:21 am

I joined today, but have been lurking a wee while.
The gear looks excellent and at very reasonable
prices (from a Scotsman!!! lol).
I have been interested in a virtually identical style
for some time but it does not have a specific name,
maybe 'Alpine' or 'Fast Stream' fishing?
These articles may explain better -
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page19.html

and
http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page43.html

I had started to modify a light bait (coarse) rod
but was delayed, for various reasons, looks like
I shall buy a Tenkara rod instead as their
specifications fit exactly.
The Italian Alpine flies seem to fit in the other
direction.
Donald Nicolson Scotland

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

DNicolson

Re: New Member

Postby anders » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:43 am

Welcome, Donald, it is good to hear from you here. I have been enjoying your website for quite a few years. I came to tenkara from an interest in long rod, short line upstream wet fly fishing. I have been tying and fishing traditional soft-hackled wet flies since being introduced to them by Sylvester Nemes' books in the mid-nineties. Until moving to Colorado I'd been fishing them downstream, usually on the swing. Now, fishing rapid flowing mountain streams, I've turned upstream with them and found myself wishing I had a longer rod. To my delight, I discovered TenkaraUSA a few months ago. Cheers.
anders

Postby wrknapp » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Great site. Thanks for posting and welcome.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:29 am

The two articles you refer to are a bit different types of fishing, but somewhat still related. One must remember that before there were reels there were....long rods, lines and flies only.

In Japan it continued to exist (tenkara).

In the UK Charles Cotton/Izak Walton, and Dame Juliane Berners all used these rods. But, also in Northern Spain, France, many parts of Europe and of course Italy.

In Italy it is still practiced by a handful of people, and it is called "Pesca alla Valsesiana" (fishing from the Selsia [valley])
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby C. Pearce » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:54 am

Dear Daniel,

One must remember that,basu is just a twisted horsehair line, tegusu a tippet, kebari a fly, and that somebody who was probably already ' an enthusiastic disciple of the rod', when you were still gleam in your grandfathers' eyes,does not need to be patronised.
C. Pearce

Postby CM_Stewart » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:31 pm

That comment strikes me as unfair. I do not see Daniel's post as patronizing. Perhaps Daniel was unaware of Donald Nicholson's stature and history, but perhaps you are unaware of the number of people, many with decades of experience fly fishing, who write in saying "Tenkara is just like ...."

A brief comment stating that the referenced articles are different than tenkara can hardly be patronizing when directed to someone new to tenkara. Similarly, a brief mention of other regions where long rods are or were used without reels is not patronizing, at least to my mind, when there was no way to know that the information was already known. Donald's site is an absolute wealth of information about flies, but it is about flies, not fishing methods. For a specific example, there is the best information I've ever seen on Valsesian flies, but not on how they are fished and certainly not on how pesca alla Valsesiana compares to tenkara.
CM_Stewart

Postby DNicolson » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:56 am

I did not take offense at Daniel's comments, he may be a lot
younger than i, but he has a lot more knowledge and experience with Tenkara than I have.
I am never offended when someone disagrees with me although I cannot see anything particularly disagreeable about his post.
Remember this is only fly fishing, not the Arab/Israeli dispute.
Tight lines and happy days tae ane an' a'.
Donald ;)
Donald Nicolson Scotland

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

DNicolson

Return to Tenkara UK