The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Fishing tales on Tenkara in Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Fishing tales on Tenkara in Wales, United Kingdom

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm

You sir, are a very lucky man. I know of know one who has the time but more over has the water he can fish so much and enjoy. I for one am jealous but love to read about your adventures. Thanks for the jealousy and good times reading.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby ConorUK » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:31 pm

rsetina, yes i am very lucky to be able to fish so often, but i am jealous in turn of those that can fish all day - i only get little nuggets of fishing time, but i do love having them!
Daniel, thanks for the feedback, and glad you enjoy it.

10 September
This week one of the club members, Eddie, a fine fisherman, caught a record sized grayling on the summer beat, 39.5 cm, which came from the same long pool as the monster trout I sometimes see but never catch. What a pool!

Eddie’s record grayling is in photo below

It was blue skies all morning so in the afternoon I headed for the deepest darkest part of the wood, where the air was nice and cool.

I headed for a nice pool that is sometimes dead and sometimes alive and when its good it produces several fish in a row. Today was a good day and after a few casts on the stone clinger I hooked a fish deep in the black water and soon a good grayling came racing out downstream to the shallows to reveal itself where I took a photo and put him back.

Moving back upstream a few more casts and I was in again, this felt like a lighter fish, but in fact was little larger at 33cm when it came to hand. Time was very short on this visit and I had to head off at a rush. Walking along the bank I spied 3 big shadows of fish against a bright sunbeam about 3 feet down, the water clear as crystal in the sunlight. I paused a few seconds to watch and it was painful to not give them a try!
ConorUK

Postby ConorUK » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:38 am

11 September
A warm day today, and i found myself fishing in a t-shirt for the first time in ages. I was heading to a pool i had missed a big grayling in a few days earlier and hoping to have a better chance. Started fishing upstream into the pool with the stone clinger but there were no takes. Well, i rushed it a little, i just wanted to get to the top whirlpool part. My first cast went up beautifully timed and through the gap in the branches....but there was nothing. Another cast, again nothing. I adjusted slightly and cast again, and the cast went over one of the branches with the fly about 1 foot underwater. I was praying for a fish to take and unsnag me, its happened before! But nothing, so i slowly pulled back to jiggle the fly out but it wedged fast and so my fishing was over almost as quick as it started.

Snagged over the whirlpool

There was no time to fish elsewhere and so i decided to wait a while and fish the pool downstream from a crouched position. With the fly about 8 foot deep in the pool i tried to imagine my fly passing along flish lies in the depths, and the leviathons that rested there eyeing up my moving fly, considering a take. Wham! The line went tight on an upward pull and i was wedged in, possibly on the lip of some crevice deep below. But no, the line gave and then started pumping - it was a fish! And within moments a bar of silver came hurtling up and a trout arced a foot into the air before folding into the current, the line snagging on a branch and setting fly a bunch of dead leaves which scattered in all directions. And i was sure all was lost, but the line slid along the branch, oh miracle of miracles and the fight was on! My position was good as the fish moved slowly upstream of me and what colours he had, when the light caught him he was orangy, but then silver in the shade. Within a minute or two i was gaining in, and he was almost too big to go in the net, a long trout of 38cm, with huge black spots, powerfully muscular. I managed one quick photo as he escaped my net onto a sand bar and was off like a shot back to his 10 foot deep lair.

ConorUK

Postby ConorUK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:38 pm

14 September
Went back to the same pool at lunchtime as the last trip. No takes on upstream approach. One connection when fishing the stoneclinger downstream deep, but whatever it was threw the hook after a brief moment of excitement as the rod jerked downward. I left the pool and fished a Sakasa green bodied caddis pattern in another area downstream. I had two takes but missed both. The season closes on 30 September on my summer beat, so time is running out for a big un, but i think its time to accept defeat on this particular pool!

At least the waterfowl hunting season has opened and a photo from a visit i made this week, and which produced a mallard, is below, on an intertidal river that you often hear good sea trout moving in before dawn. Maybe worth a cast or two!

ConorUK

Postby ConorUK » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:53 am

18 September
Lunchtime found me in the woods of my summer beat working my way upstream through some shallow runs to approach a rising fish under some ovehanging rushes. It was a warm day for mid September and there was a good hatch of what i think were medium olives. Fishing a tan klinkhammer on the Ayu rod i was getting the knack of flicking the fly just into the right zone. As the sunlight changed in intensity through the trees i spotted the fish just as he rose up and struck the fly, i absolutely love it when that happens! It was a small brownie of 22cm which threw the hook as he came in to hand. As i reached the deep pools I switched to the stone clinger. There were lots of big dead leaves falling through the branches into the pools and it was quite a job to get the fly into the water and out for another cast without hooking them! On one cast upstream into the head of the pool the tippet snagged over one big leaf, leaving the stone clinger hanging into the current a foot below. To my surprise the leaf dissapeared and a fish was on! I think it was a medium sized grayling but it threw the hook before i could find out! In the next run i hooked a small trout in a lie i had never tried before and he also threw the hook. Time to sharpen my flies!!! In an open glade i fished into a deep oxgenated pool hoping for a good brownie but had no takes. It was great to get back on the river after a gap of a few days.

ConorUK

Postby rsetina » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Great read as usual Conor. Thanks for taking us along on your lunch.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby ConorUK » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:31 pm

this week my wife gave birth to a baby boy - Oscar - and so fishing is not on the agenda at moment, but hope to get out soon, and hopefully tempt the young fella to catch his first fish tenkara style in a year or two :D
ConorUK

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:42 pm

My Congratulations!!! :D
That's really awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post. Glad to hear a new angler was born
My best to you and your family.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tonywee » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Congratulations to both mum and dad ... I'm sure Oscar will grow up to be a good Tenkarakian (?) like his father. :D
tonywee

Postby Morgan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Conor, congratulations to you both and the very best wishes! Enjoy every day with him!
Morgan

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara UK