Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing tales on Tenkara in Wales, United Kingdom

Re: Fishing tales on Tenkara in Wales, United Kingdom

Postby ConorUK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 pm

28th June
Making the most of the water levels I ventured out on the river again. I blanked but it didn’t really matter, I took my time and enjoyed the area I fished.

ConorUK

Postby ConorUK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:34 pm

21 July
Almost another month of the season wiped out thanks to the rain. I cannot recall a wetter summer.

Today was a special day.

On a Saturday morning with the sun shining and the river back to normal I took my sons Oscar (two and a half) and Adam (one and a bit) for their first outing on the river. It was really just a walk with the Ayu tucked away in my waders in case the opportunity presented itself. We got to a spot I thought might be interesting to them. A shallow incline and lots of stones to throw in the water and some sand to build sand castles (we took a bucket and spades). They were very excited about the sand and throwing sticks and stones in the river.

After about an hour, when every fish had probably decided it was time to emigrate, Oscar showed an interest in the rod and he fished for about 2 minutes. He did what I asked and held the rod confidently, with smooth movement, and sweeped the area with a weighted nymph. I was pretty impressed!

We spent about 2 hours there, most of which was throwing stones and sticks in the water and me doing me best to ensure nobody fell in. Unfortunately Adam did fall in head first whilst I was videoing them both. It was a panic at the time, but hilarious on video, I am hope he will enjoy watching it in time!
ConorUK

Postby ConorUK » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:22 am

4 March 2013
Wow - 6 months since I last fished the river. I went out once in August – date forgotten - and not once since. Since then we had two big floods and just before Christmas I bought an Iwana 11 foot rod in a TenkaraUSA sale together with a traditional line. Also got a replacement line for my 13 foot Ayu which after 3 years of regular fishing had given amazing value for money.

Needless to say it was the Iwana that I took to the river for its first outing.

I fished the woods.

The Iwana felt very different by contrast to the longer and stockier Ayu. I was casting as if it were a delicate wand and it took a while to get used to it. I was looking forward to my first fish and how the rod would feel. The river bed was very different, many new holes and in many parts the river bed scraped down to the bedrock. I fished wet but connected with nothing. But it was a joy to get out again.

ConorUK

Postby Chiseler » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 am

Conor
I have been following your trout and grayling exploits and I must say you are doing well,especially being able to nip out for fish at lunchtime,I have been trying to decide which rod to buy but it sounds like the Ayu may suit me here in Australia

Adrian
Attachments
image.jpg
醜い何かを持っていたことがない
Chiseler

Postby ConorUK » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Adrian, hope the Ayu is serving you well, its a great rod in open spaces like you must have.

This year I only managed five visits. They were five very enjoyable trips and the last was with my two boys – a Sunday afternoon – on the way back from an outing to a heritage day on a watermill. We managed ten casts of the Iwana, which has yet to land a fish could you believe! Adam (aged 2) lost the top of the Iwana rod in the field on the way to the river (he insisted on carrying it) and several flies from the flybox on the pebbles. Oscar (aged 4) fell down a hole and then wanted to go home before the "bear in the woods" got us. He was adamant he was right and we had better go NOW. All in all we managed ten casts of a dry fly which was ten casts more than if we had never visited in the first place. The boys still recount the trip and look forward to next season.

whilst the fishing has been on the back burner i am enjoying lots of outdoor time with the boys doing other stuff. I have just started a facebook and twitter account called outdoorswithdad through which i will share some of those experiences in discovering new places, plants and animals in our local area, and who knows others may do likewise and as a result we might encourage lots more dads to take children outdoors. And of course where relevant i will encourage tenkara as a brilliant way of introduce children to tenkara - just make sure the top is sellotaped on :lol:

Outdoorswithdad on Facebook

Outdoorswithdad on Twitter
ConorUK

Postby adventureR » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Good to see you got out some Conor.
Mud pies could be a secret way to out out longer.
Swimig also helps during wam weather.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dblteach » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Conor

I don't want to discourage you from using this great forum, but I wonder if you know that we have a tenkara forum in the UK and some members fish in your area?
Have a look at:
http://uk-tenkara.proboards.com/

Apologies if you're already a member.

Tight lines!
David
dblteach

Postby dblteach » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Those apologies! I see you are actually a venerable member...
dblteach

Postby adventureR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Please don't let my mutilation of the English language chase you off! All are welcome!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Dc-J_mD7 ... 4Dc-J_mD7c
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby ConorUK » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:36 pm

Several plans to go fly-fishing with the boys were scuppered but not yesterday. This time it was Adam that was interested in fishing and we caught a wee sea trout smolt on the 11 foot Iwana I bought last year in a brilliant Tenkara USA sale. Moreover, it was the first fish to the rod and in a pool that I have never ever caught anything in. A day of firsts.

Just goes to show that if you work a pool for long enough (2 hours) no amount of rocks and logs being thrown in can scupper your chance!!! Adam is only 3 but managed the rod great, another good example of the advantages of a Tenkara rod in introducing fly fishing to young children.

Photos of the trip posted at outdoorswithdad.org

The boys were ready to leave just as the afternoon hatch of large dark olive got underway and I could see two decent fish moving nearby as we headed back up the fields to the car. Whomever first said parenting means making personal sacrifices must have been a fisherman!
ConorUK

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara UK