Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Yorkshire's Post Industrial Rivers

Yorkshire's Post Industrial Rivers

Postby mspaddler » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:48 am

Hi Guys

Yorkshire, a beautiful county in the North of England is blessed with some fantastic fly fishing water especially in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. However, many other rivers were exploited during the industrial revolution and became very badly polluted, virtually dead as far as trout and grayling were concerned. Since the decline in manufacturing the up side has been that many of these rivers are cleaner now than they have been for centuries and in their upper reaches support a healthy population of both Brown Trout and Grayling. In addition several of these rivers are either free fishing or the fishing rights are own by clubs with very reasonable annual fees. Tenkara fishing is perfect for catching fish, and I personal have a greater success rate on the post industrial rivers of Yorkshire than on the more traditional (and more expensive) streams and rivers. The Rivers I have fished in alphabetical order include the Aire, Don, Calder, Colne, Holme and Worth. They may not always be pretty but the fish are there for the catching!
Attachments
IMG_5097-004.JPG
A handsome Grayling caught in the middle of Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
mspaddler

Re: Yorkshire's Post Industrial Rivers

Postby Softouch333 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Indeed there are. Add the Ure and Pickering and numerous small "becks, burns and kills." You may recognize my author picture on Amazon is from the parapet of Bolton Castle near Wensleydale. Best of all are the truly lovely people of the moors and dales...also post industrial I'm glad to say.

Kevin Kelleher
Softouch333

Return to Tenkara UK