Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tales from Wales

Re: Tales from Wales

Postby Owl Jones » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Beautiful water! Cold, cold, beautiful water! :)
Owl Jones

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:10 am

I'd like to wish all forum members a very happy Xmas 2010, here in North Wales this year we are having the coldest winter for many years, and for the first time the river Dee in Chester has frozen over! Looking forward to posting next years reports.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Postby papa d » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:20 am

Hey Simon

The weather sure seems to be changing. The UK is really getting it bad this year. Very strange indeed.
We are having a exceptionably warm winter here in northwestern Canada. Its only dropped below 0 degrees F. a few days this winter. We consider that to be quite warm. We use to spend most winters in the minus 20-30's. Seems to be getting milder here every year that passes.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.
David.
papa d

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:58 am

15th April
Yet another chance for a quick hour with the Big “T” at Llay bridge on the river Alyn. This time I decided to experiment with the length of leader. Normally I use at least 6ft but this time I cut the length down to 3ft. The difference was noticeable immediately! The dry fly turned over much; much better? A lesson learnt! Working my way upstream on the wrong bank for a right hander, a fish rose tight to the opposite bank. With a Bubble winged caddis on the point and no tree cover to worry about a cast and a drag free drift landed a good size trout. A tree half across the river gave good cover to cast upstream above it. Two salmon / trout parr were convinced to take to dry. Exiting the river I made my way up to the first sharp corner. Another trout was induced to take the dry in the fast water. On the far bank a dead eddy of water protected by a strong current, perfect for the Tenkara method. Flicking the fly onto the dead water, lift the leader clear of the flow and the fly sat there! Three times the fish hit the fly in this dead water, and 3 times I missed it! Time was up, next time!

16th April
With the possibility of Tenkara getting a boost in the near future here in the UK, more on this later? Another couple of hours this afternoon with Sonia in the Sewage field. We really must think of a better name! Maybe the King fisher field as again the pair a nesting in the corner. Anyway, dry fly again today starting with the run blow the sewage pool where the bank has been repaired. I'm starting now not to concentrate on rising fish and instead entice them to come to a dry. This worked well here with a savage take, unfortunately the fish went aerial and threw the hook! The same thing happened at Kingfisher corner in the big eddy, the tenkara is perfect for holding the dry in the correct position allowing time for the trout to hit the well presented fly, again jumping and throwing the hook. Met up with Sonia at the bottom end of the field. While Sonia had a seat I concentrated on a run on the far bank. A small rise very close to the bank, small fish I think? Cover it with a small dry, a take but a miss! Loads of laughter from behind me, this is not the small fish indicated but the small rise. A quick change of fly to find the trout had moved out from the bank, again a rolling take, again another miss along with comments about HOW did you miss that? This is a good, big fish! Decided to leave this one also for another day. Watching the Tenkara casting on the web site a lot of their fishing seems to be across and down, here on our river we try and fish mostly upstream with drys and wets with very little of across and down, which method is more common?

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:32 am

At last the rain has arrived! With a bit more water now perhaps the river will now wake up. I decide to take a walk in the heavy rain during the afternoon with the air-gun and the Tenkara rod set up in the gun cover. Not surprisingly the river was devoid of other humans. On the other hand the sky was filled with bird life, sand martins going crazy for the fly coming off the sewage outfall and pool; buzzards soaring overhead and the kingfishers trying to avoid any contact with me. A couple of fast deep runs tempted the Big T out of the case and with a small size 20 nymph on the point I covered the pools many times. With no waders, I was restricted to which runs and pools I could fish with any confidence. In each of the two runs / pools I connected and hooked two good fish, but today they both had the better of me as they both threw the hook after glimpsing the flash of their flanks briefly. This is a great way to to pass a few hours on a very wet river.
The Big T is ideal, readily available and set up, you can be fishing in under 30 seconds and be packed away in another 30 seconds. I can highly recommend Fuji EZ Keepers for keeping the the line and fly stored, best things I have bought in a while an ideal for the Tenkara rod and very quick delivery from Chris at TenkaraBum as they are unavailable in the UK.

Simon
Simon.A.Hayes

Fishing trip 23rd June

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 am

After a bad day at the office I arrived at River Alyn around 1600 with the big T. The weather here like everywhere else has been very unpredictable. The rivers have very little water, many are slow and still making it very hard to creep up on unsuspecting fish.
I had tied up a couple of Tenkara flies which up to today I had never used on the river. As you can see from the photo the are heavily dressed, on a size 12 heavy grub hook.

After watching a few U tube films on how to fish the fly I attached it to a 5ft tippet and started at the bottom end of the section I intended to fish.
A large rock with a big back eddy was the first target, remembering the technique, the fly was held in the dead water and twitched to impart movement. A jerk of the rod and a brown was hooked and in hand, a good start.
Working my way up the river using the same method 4 more fish attacked the fly but managed to throw the hook. I watched one dart out of a fast run to take the fly in a patch still of water, I missed this one as well.
Best fish of the 1hrs session was on the last cast, again, drift the fly across and down twitching it then bang. The rod bent in half, this is the fish in the photo. After using this fly for the first time I am very impressed, back to the vice to try some other patterns.

More tales to follow.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Tales from Wales (South this time)

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:12 am

A work trip to South Wales gave me a chance to visit my brother, he is the reason I started fly fishing all those years ago. He has tried my Tenkara rod out before but not in the right place or conditions to see the benefits for himself. A small river flows 10mins form his front door, so with the Tenkara in my back pocket and flies in my coat we set off.

The river is about 15 – 20 feet across, the pool I decided to fish had a strong flow right through the centre with back eddy’s on the far bank. With tree all around and behind the only way to cast was a type of steeple cast stopping before the fly touched the surface so as to keep the leader out of the flow.
We started with a dry as a fish had risen a few times, the bow and arrow cast demonstrated the fly sitting in the back eddy, one very impressed brother! Unfortunately the fish did not agree. With the rod handed over with two weighted PTN's Gareth my brother took his first steps in Tenkara. He took a while to get he idea of lifting the rod to keep the leader free of the current, on the third cast as the nymphs made their way downstream a trout decided to christen this new Tenkara virgin.

As the rod bent over the smile on by brothers face grew, he hoped that I had not seen him go to pull in the line, first thing he said after landing the fish was “ I've got to get one of these”!

Making our way up stream casting to eddy’s that would be impossible for a normal fly rod resulted in another 2 fish in the net and 1 throwing the hook. This demo of Tenkara went better that could be imagined. I have learnt that if you are demonstrating Tenkara, try to make sure the water that you use will show off the benefits of the rod and technique. Sorry about the poor photos, I only had my Ipod with me.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

Postby jayfisher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:19 am

Simon,
It's a belessing to have the joy of fishing with your brother and for brothers to introduce one another to new experiences. I just wanted to tell you that I enjoy reading your posts. Please keep them coming!
-Jack
jayfisher

Postby papa d » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Looks to me like you hooked some fish and your brother too. 8-)
papa d

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:13 am

Having a Tenkara rod always set up in the car is to easy! Everybody should have one. Stopped off at the Alyn on the way home form work. The rod had already been left set up with two weighted nymphs after my trip to my brothers on Monday. A note worth making the EZ keepers that are sold to the UK by Chris at TenkaraBum are one of the best investments I have made to go with the Rod, for me a must have! After some rain at the beginning of the week the river looked a lot better, water clear and less mess on the bottom.
Started fishing a run below a small stone weir, fishing the nymphs up and across the current. A small Grayling, and I mean small just a bit bigger than the fly flew out when I went to cast! Just hooked in the scissors, fish are greedy! Another brown also took part in this party about 6in.
Moved downstream to another shallow run into fast water feeding a deep pool. On the third the tip indicator of the furled leader shot downstream with the bend in the rod following it, After a good fight a very nice size Brown trout came to hand, a quick few photos and then released.

Changed to a small dry to finish and managed 1 more trout in a fast run. In all I was only on the river fishing for about 30min, that included setting up and packing away, that's what Tenkara is all about.

Simon.
Simon.A.Hayes

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara UK