Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tales from Wales

Tales from Wales

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:36 am

Hi All
I discovered tenkara fishing earlier this year by chance while surfing the web, it is very unusual these days to discover a new method to fish a fly that many have never heard about! When trying to explain the method here in the UK most anglers look at you in disgust. The first statement they throw at you is that it is Pole fishing; then it's dapping. You then try and tell them that fly fishing probably started in the far east, “Japan”! That's when any interest in what your talking about ends. Anyway, I told Conor about this method, he got the idea and as you know he has not looked back. Eventually I ordered my rod last week, a Iwana 12ft which arrived within 6 days, excellent service from TenkaraUSA. Over the last month the rain here has been nearly continuous so the rivers are at the moment unfishable! Could not wait to try out the new rod so Sonia and I headed off to a small stocked still water near home. I set up the rod with a size 20 Griffiths Gnat and started targeting the cruising trout. 5 trout were caught in all to this method the largest weighing in at 1.5lb which the rod handled well, notice the bend of the rod in the photo. After this first trip with the new rod we are both looking forward to trying it out on the River Dee at Llangollen and the now famous River Alyn at Rossett. Hope you like the photos and check back for the next instalment.
Simon. :D

Simon.A.Hayes

Re: Tales from Wales

Postby CreationBear » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:09 am

I will definitely look forward to some pictures from your adventures: I was lucky enough to spend a day on the Usk this past summer and really fell in love with that part of the world. :)
CreationBear

Postby rsetina » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 pm

Welcome to the site Simon. You sure had a good bend in the rod in that picture and that's a nice rainbow. He looks quite fat. I'll look for more reports I the future.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby ConorUK » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:05 pm

glad you got out, and as always you were very successful, the light presentation of a tiny dry fly perhaps helped as well? the river is unreal, unfishable for weeks now!
ConorUK

Postby LMarshall » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:31 pm

The bend the rod is taking in that photo is just crazy! I own an Iwana too, if I hadn't seen that photo I probably wouldn't have realized the rods bend double on bigger fish.
LMarshall

Postby grampa » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:09 pm

It can be nice to have stocked ponds when the streams are off limits! Plus you can keep the fish without fear of damaging the ecosystem!

Hope you have many more happy hours with your Tenkara rod - I certainly have with mine!
grampa

First River outing

Postby Simon.A.Hayes » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am

This is it, time for the first river outing for my new Tenkara rod on the river Dee at Llangollen! For the last 4 weeks the rivers have been in flood here in North Wales. Now that the very cold weather has eventually arrived with the jet stream moving north, river fishing can start again. As it is closed season for Brown trout and Atlantic Salmon, time to target the Lady of the Stream, the Grayling.
The rod was set up with my Hi Vis furled leader with a 5ft tippet of 4lb line with 1 dropper. Two heavy nymphs were added to get down to where I hoped the fish would be. Casting upstream as in the picture 2 or 3 time to get the feel of the rod and the cast.
On the 4th Cast I hooked bottom? Then the leader started to move! Whatever I had hooked was huge! Sonia my wife was fishing with me and came to help out. After a good 5min with the rod bent in half we were rewarded be the view of a very large salmon turning in the river! The nets we had would be of no use! With such a light tippet I never expected to land the fish, after another 5min of coaxing the fish was beached! As Sonia went to grab the tail, one final thrash, and it threw the hook! We both looked at each other in shock! First question was how large do you think it was? We both estimated that the fish weighed between 10-15lb! The exciting thing was that I had never before caught a salmon, now using my new Tenkara rod for the first time in anger, this monster decided that it was going to be my lucky day. I would never have believed that this Tenkara rod would have landed a fish of this size.
The special thing was that Sonia was there to to experience this very special catch with me. I would have loved to share a photo with you, the camera was ready! This is probably the first Salmon ever caught with a Tenkara rod in the UK? Unless someone knows different?
How can things get any better after this?
Simon :D
Simon.A.Hayes

Postby grampa » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

Wow! That's fantastic, Simon!

I think you might need to get a bigger net! :D
grampa

Postby rsetina » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:28 pm

Sounds like an exciting time on the water Simon. Who would have believed a Tenkara rod could land a fish like that. Very cool indeed.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:59 am

And on an Iwana! Truly amazing.

You realize of course, that Sonia is going to want her own tenkara rod now!
CM_Stewart

Next

Return to Tenkara UK