Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing reports from Edinbugh,Scotland

Re: Fishing reports from Edinbugh,Scotland

Postby leckie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 am

Wednesday 28 March 2012 – River North Esk
It’s going to be another brilliant day…and even better is that I’m taking a half day’s holiday this afternoon….the plan is to have a few beers, BBQ at 4:30pm…nice
Being so warm of late I decided to leave the fishing jacket in the garage and use the sleeveless wading jacket for the first time this season….I transferred the magnetic net holder and net to the wading jacket and set off. I arrived at the river early as usual…my first cast was just after 7am….the river was a bit cloudy…not sure why…so I decided to try some of my hand tied nymphs, tied on a size 16 jig hook..this way I thought I could target both grayling and trout using this method….I’ve 2 grayling to go to catch my personal target a total of 6 before the 31 March. I’m sticking with the Yamame and using a thingamabobber as an indicator. Blimey…first cast and the indicator dips under the surface then it is back up again…I didn’t even have time to react….I’ll up my concentration levels...you better believe it…half way down the run the indicator dives under the surface again…this time I’m ready and strike and a fish is on….this is a nice fish…its putting up a fierce battle….even the Yamane has a significant bend it in…then it jumps clear of the water shaking its head violently….a nice trout of around a pound in weight….this fellow doesn’t want to get close to the bank where it shallows up but it is tiring…it’s on its side…time to land it…I give the handle of the net a pull, but it doesn’t come free….another pull...then another…still its not releasing….I’ll have to beach it….I start to hand line it in but the delay in me messing about with the landing net has given the trout time to recover and it makes an almighty dash for mid stream and the inevitable happens…the line snaps and the fish is free….I’m disappointed because I wanted to show you guys a photo of this fish…it was in perfect condition and very handsome markings…another time then. I go to the riverbank take off my wading jacket to find out what the issue is with the magnetic net release……aaargh …I discover that I have attached the split ring of the net to the D ring on my jacket rather than the split ring from the magnetic net release to the jacket….no wonder it didn’t release….Alex you plonker.
I’ve still got another hour of fishing to go so still time to nail one before work beckons….I work my way upstream and there’s definitely a few pulls that I miss and don’t connect with…until the indicator dives again...I strike and a fish is on…it’s a nice grayling which gives a good account of itself in its struggle for freedom…I take a quick photo and release it to fight another day.

I had another few takes but no connection and one where I connected…the rod bent…I could see it was another grayling then slack…and my thingamabobber and fly are now 10’ up the tree behind me…Time to call it a day…and what a day….best of the season so far with many more to come

Tight lines
Alex
Last edited by leckie on Mon May 07, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
leckie

Postby leckie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:50 am

Thursday 29 March 2012- River North Esk
Determined to catch another grayling I fished for a few hours after work. The river is still a bit cloudy...I am using the same set up as yesterday with a size 16 weighted nymph under a strike indicator....Nothing....could have been a few takes...hard to say...but did not connect with anything. I saw one fish rise....I think it was a grayling.

Alex
leckie

Postby leckie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 am

Friday 30 March 2012 - River North Esk
A view from the bridge pool looking downstream - the end of the pool is the weir

This is the first run on the other side of the weir

One grayling to catch and only 2 days to go to equal my internal target of 6 caught during the wbt close season ....just hoping that the 2 that got away 'cause the knot came undone doesn't come back to haunt me
I fished for an hour before work this morning...and headed upstream to Polton...parked at the bridge and the river is 30 yards away...and it's on my route to work...okay with a little diversion...but it's be worth it if I nail a grayling....a brace would be nice...then I would beat my record....oh for goodness sake just get on with it and stop dreaming
I put on my sleeveless wading jacket leaving the full 3/4 length jacket in the car....why did I do that ....it's freezing....I think the forecast is for snow on higher ground this weekend
Anyway, I want a grayling so I'm sticking with a size 16 weighted nymph fished under an indicator....the river is crystal clear...makes me wonder why the river is cloudy at Dalkeith Country Park....I make a mental note to phone SEPA to see if they can shed some light on this matter...I'm sure it's not pollution but I'm curious for an explanation
Half an hour has come and gone with no interest shown in the fly....about 10 metres ahead there are a number of rises....think they are trout....but I don't care I'm changing tactics. I take off the indicator and the weighted nymph and use a sakasa kabari....I cover the rises slowly working upstream...I'm past them now so I'll fish the fly wet downstream....not a touch....time to pack up

tight lines

Alex
Last edited by leckie on Mon May 07, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
leckie

Postby leckie » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 am

Saturday 31 March 2012 - River North Esk

Well I did not equal my personal target of 6 grayling . I did catch 5 however and lost 2 due to the knot coming undone and had at least half a dozen hooked but lost after the a brief encounter.
This is the first time I have targeted grayling and I have learnt a whole load of things through this experience...just glad the rivers close to me hold the 'ladies of the stream'.
For the final session this morning (7am - 9am) I thought I'd double my chances by fishing with the hopper dropper method NZ style....I fished upstream in the run I've had some success on over the past couple of months....saw nothing...no touches...no rises...did see a fox scavanging across the other side of the river...it had something in its mouth...not sure what it was....I hope it was that mink I saw a few months back...but wouldn't count on it...there survivors these mink...they know how to take care of themselves.
Anyway, when I got to the head of the run I turned back and fished down and across....at 7.30 am I got a savage pull...a trout...it leapt clean out of the water....I could see its yellow belly...as it landed the hook was thrown and that was it.
I fished hard for the next hour and a half but nothing.
I will be starting to fish using more top of the water styles...so I guess it will be mostly brown trout from now on...but you never know....it would be nice to get a grayling on the dry.

tight lines

Alex
leckie

Previous

Return to Tenkara UK