Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hi, New member from Edinburgh

Re: Hi, New member from Edinburgh

Postby TenkaraGrasshopper » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 am

Seriously Yong? There are always reasons to visit a place with Tenkara ready waters. That should be excuse enough. :twisted:

TenkaraGrasshopper
What? There is life outside of fishing?

My Tenkara Armory
11' Iwana 13'6" Amago 13'-14'7" Ito

Twitter:[b]10karaGrasshopr[/b]
TenkaraGrasshopper

Postby chorpie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:43 pm

I should re-phrase that as "Man, I wish there were a reason for my work to pay for me to go to Edinburgh!" :D
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Postby leckie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:02 pm

This morning I'm off for a few hours fishing for the elusive grayling. I'm fishing the River North Esk, 5 minutes drive from my house.
I thought this might interest some of you over the pond - you never know it's a small world and you might know someone who has studied at the Wisconsin University. I think it's a summer school for the students.
And here is the summer school. Not bad for some....
I'll walk downstream for 15 minutes or so, just short of a mile I guess and fish back upstream. It's a good walking path as you can see. No Grizzly or Brown Bears to bother me here. Lots of American grey squirrels though...they are taking over the forests here in Scotland because they are bigger and more aggresive than our indigenous red squirrel species..can anyone see any parallels here :lol:
I'm standing on the bridge looking upstream from a place called 'The meeting of the waters'. This is where the River North Esk and the River South Esk join to form the River Esk which flows into the sea about three miles from here. Where they actually meet is about 50 yards downstream from where this photo was taken. Both rivers are about the same size and both hold good heads of trout and grayling and small runs of salmon and sea trout late on in the season although fishing is not permitted for migratory species.
I normally get a few offers in this pool during the season which start 15 March and ends 6 October from the wild brown trout that make this their home.I'm using a size 16 gold ribbed hares ear but press on which this fly selection and just practice perfecting my casting technique.Nothing so I press on upstream
Got a tug here. I saw a flash of silver then it was gone. I think it was an out of season wild brown trout though. Never mind at least my fly must be fishing at he right depth... EncouragingImage
As I'm walking up to the tail of this pool I see a large silver flash, then another one. I stop and throw a few lines then I see what's going on. There are a number of sea trout or salmon ahead spawning. I see them on there sides quivering and making the redds with their tails. Wow one came right in front of me. If its a sea trout is a big one It must be nearer double figures. It's probably a salmon then. I've never experienced this before and its magical.What a great way to end the session I've only got half an hour of fishing time left and try a few pools further upstream before I call it a day or should I say morning.

leckie
leckie

Postby ConorUK » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:31 pm

very evocative write up at the end there, really enjoyed reading that. I wonder if 'meeting of the water' is a common phrase in celtic lands? My formative years were spent worm fishing a small stream called the Owenbeg in the Ox mountains in the west of Ireland. Where it met the Owenmore river my paternal grandad referred to it as the meeting of the waters.
ConorUK

Postby leckie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:48 am

Hi ConorUK,

I wouldn't be surpised at all if it had a celtic origin. I've definately seen it in maps in other districts within Scotland as well so I guess it's a common enough phrase and you know how all us celtic nations stick together... ;)
When do you intend starting fishing again because I really enjoyed reading your posts. You have some lovely waters done in Wales with big grayling in them, and this is the time to get them.
When I read your posts - and a lot of them were nipping out to fish during office lunch breaks etc - I got to think, why don't I do that. :idea: I'm only 10 minutes drive to the Water of Leith which is a small river that runs through the centre of Edinburgh. So I've done it.. I made my New Years Resolution to fish at least once per week either straight before or after work or during the lunch break. I work flexi hours so it should be quite manageable. :)

leckie
leckie

Postby CreationBear » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:27 pm

the Water of Leith which is a small river that runs through the centre of Edinburgh

That's a lovely little stream--I passed over it walking up from Haymarket Station to the Modern Art museum a couple of years ago. No one fishing, though--in fact, even though it was intensely frustrating to pass by all those burns (not the mention hallowed waters like the Spey) via train and tour bus, the only fishermen I saw on the water were coarse fishing in the little stream running behind Pollock House back in Glasgow.

At any rate, I'll definitely look forward to trip reports in the future! :)
CreationBear

Postby leckie » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi CreationBear,

The Water of Leith is a lovely little stream with plenty of nice runs and pools. Your right you don't see many people fishing small rivers and streams. The photos that I have posted are from the River North Esk. I fish both the Rivers North and South Esk which is 8 miles from the city centre. I've been fishing these rivers during the trout fishing season which is generally 15 March to 6 October at least once a week for the past 7 years and I can recall seeing any more than half a dozen people fishing it in all that time. :?
Kids don't fish these days it seems, they're more interested in computer games I think rather than any outdoor activity.
As far as adults are concerned...well they seem to be more interested in rainbow trout fishing in the numerous fisheries, mostly reservoirs that abound around Edinburgh. There must be about a dozen rainbow trout fisheries with a 40 minute drive of the city centre. These 'bow fishermen complain to the fishery manager if they catch a fish below three pounds in weight. :shock:
Some of the returns from these fisheries show catch returns of fish in the region of 10 - 16 lbs every week.
There is just no way the these fishermen would be interested in catching a 6 - 8 " wild brown trout. They need to be educated in the finer art of small stream fishing and tenkara and particular. But hey... I'm not volunteering for this thankless job with adults ... but I wouldn't mind teaching kids just like my dad taught me.

leckie
leckie

Postby CreationBear » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:56 pm

There is just no way the these fishermen would be interested in catching a 6 - 8 " wild brown trout.

Hopefully you'll make a good "Tenkara-vangelist" then--that's too beautiful a country not to be shared with your countrymen. It's not quite to that point here in the States, though I have noticed that in the Smoky Mountains, at least, an inordinate number of Germans getting "back of beyond" in the wilder sections of the Park while the vast number of American tourists don't get far from their vehicles.

At any rate, my host in Glasgow was one of my ex-students who just got her PhD there--if she gets to stay a while longer on her student visa, I might show up on her doorstep again next fall, Ayu in hand. :)
CreationBear

Postby jayfisher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 pm

This morning I'm off for a few hours fishing for the elusive grayling. I'm fishing the River North Esk, 5 minutes drive from my house.
I thought this might interest some of you over the pond - you never know it's a small world and you might know someone who has studied at the Wisconsin University. I think it's a summer school for the students.

leckie,

Perhaps I should raise my hand half-way up. I didn't study at the Wisconsin University that you mention. But I did go to the University of Wisconsin in Madison, and it was/is a great school too.

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby ConorUK » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm

leckie, hope you make the most of the lunchtimes, even if you only end up fishing for 20 minutes each time, its great to get out regularly, i find you learn way more about the river with lots of quick trips compared to one half day once in a while. the key to getting out at lunchtime is to make it a routine. I have fallen out of the routine for several months, but once the high water subsides I hope to venture out again.

as for people that prefer to fish stocked lakes for the ease of fishing and guaranteed success they bring - good luck to them if they enjoy that - more room for those of us that prefer being frustrated with blank days on little streams!
conor
ConorUK

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara UK