Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Hi, New member from Edinburgh

Hi, New member from Edinburgh

Postby leckie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:42 am

Hi,
Just a quick post to introduce myself. I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and have numerous western style fly rods. I bought a 12ft Iwana and a 12ft Yamame at the start of year and since then its been all Tenkara fishing for me. It's great and like most people I love its simplicity.

I am quite lucky living in Edinburgh as there are plenty of small rivers around the city with one even running right through it. I thought I'd post of few photos of the river that I mainly fish which is about 8 miles from the city centre, and a few fish that I caught from that river earlier this year.

Remember if you visit Edinburgh take your Tenkara rod with you. ;)
Tight lines

leckie

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

leckie

Re: Hi, New member from Edinburgh

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Welcome to the forums!

Wonderful looking fish and waters you have there.

TJ

leckie wrote:Hi,
Just a quick post to introduce myself. I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and have numerous western style fly rods. I bought a 12ft Iwana and a 12ft Yamame at the start of year and since then its been all Tenkara fishing for me. It's great and like most people I love its simplicity.

I am quite lucky living in Edinburgh as there are plenty of small rivers around the city with one even running right through it. I thought I'd post of few photos of the river that I mainly fish which is about 8 miles from the city centre, and a few fish that I caught from that river earlier this year.

Remember if you visit Edinburgh take your Tenkara rod with you. ;)
Tight lines

leckie
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby jayfisher » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi leckie,

Thanks for posting your photos. You're very fortunate to have such nice water so close to you for fishing. I'm in Oregon and I just love how we come together from East and West and many countries to share parts of our fishing and non-fishing lives with one another.

We must have started fly fishing around the same time about 30 years ago. I think for me, the greatest value of tenkara simplicity is that it's so relaxing.

As you transition to tenkara, what flies do you find yourself using? Are you using some traditional flies or kebari?

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby leckie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 am

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome guys. :)
I'll post photos and fish from the waters I fish in and around Edinburgh. The photos in the post are of the River North Esk (there is a River South Esk as well). These two rivers meet within Dalkeith Country Park at a place they call would you believe 'where the two waters meet'. The river then becomes the River Esk and runs into the sea at Mussleburgh just outside Edinburgh.
The rivers North and South Esk have a reddish brown tint in the water due to them running through iron ore deposits futher upstream. You can fish other rivers quite nearby that are crystal clear so they are all pretty different which makes things interesting. :?
There are some grayling in the Rivers North and South Esk so I'm going to give them a go over the winter.
This year I have been using up all my old traditional flies so I haven't caught one fish on a reverse hackle fly. I think I will buy some fly tying gear and tie my own over the next couple of months.
I caught most of the trout on the dry fly using klinkhammers mainly but also traditional dries such as greenwells glory, black spider, tups indispensible and olive duns.
Wets - I have caught fish on partridge and orange, greenwells glory and bloody butcher.
Nymphs - PTN and GRHE
leckie
leckie

Postby ConorUK » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 pm

hi leckie
welcome to the forum and I look forward to hearing of your visits around Edinburgh. my own fishing in wales is going through a dormant phase at the moment!
conor
ConorUK

Postby leckie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi Conor,

I'll certainly post some reports when the fish start biting :(
I tried for just over an hour this afternoon for grayling as at last the wind subsided and the river was in good condition, a nice steady flow and quite clear. However the grayling still eludes me. :roll:
I did try some different methods though; I have always used a furled leader but today I tried 12 ft of 20 lbs level line, 15 inches of 14lb power gum as a sight indicator and a 3ft tippet and was pretty impressed with that set up. I think I'll persevere with the level lines over the coming months to see how I get on.
I've also just purchased on the internet a fly vice so I'll tie some reverse hackle flies for the forthcoming season.
I'm intriged with the tamo net building that you see on this forum but that might be a step too far our me but I'll keep looking at the posts as it's very interesting reading.
I liked all the posts that your did from your neck of the woods and look forward to reading some new ones once you get back on the water.

leckie
leckie

Postby TenkaraGrasshopper » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Welcome to the forum sir. I look forward to seeing more of your pics. Who knows maybe while I am doing some genealogy research on my family I will have to come to Edinburgh with my fiancee and we will have to get together to go fishing. And when you come to Colorado the Colorado Tenkara Fishermen can take you out as well. Again welcome and enjoy.

TenkaraGrasshopper
What? There is life outside of fishing?

My Tenkara Armory
11' Iwana 13'6" Amago 13'-14'7" Ito

Twitter:[b]10karaGrasshopr[/b]
TenkaraGrasshopper

Postby Loften » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Nice rivers and fish!!! I wish i had some trout rivers near me.
Loften

Postby leckie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi guys,

If any of you do manage to get over to Edinburgh then let me know and I will be happy to go fishing with you and be your guide for the day. 8-)
If you happen to be in Edinburgh without a tenkara rod - don't worry 'cause I've got two. :)
Scotland is Tenkara heaven. The west coast of Scotland is mountainous with fast flowing crystal clear streams - a bit like Japan I would hazard a guess. The East coast is a lot flatter with all the big salmon rivers on that side, the Tay, Spey and Tweed amongst others. All these rivers hold good stocks of trout and grayling as well, and of course they all have lots of tributaries. Then you have the fact that fishing here in Scotland for us Tenkara anglers is cheap. It's not like England where you need to buy an annual rod licence then a permit to fish. A permit for example to fish the renowned River Tweed for trout and grayling for a 9 month season is 30 GBP. :o
At the moment I am trying Tenkara fishing for grayling without much success at the moment but I will post some more pictures of the places around Edinburgh where I fish and hopefully a grayling or two ;)

leckie
leckie

Postby chorpie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Man, I wish there were a reason for me to visit the Edinburgh engineering office for work!
Yong
Amago, 11' Iwana I, 12' Iwana II
chorpie

Next

Return to Tenkara UK