Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Spots in the south

Spots in the south

Postby Wupperfischer » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:37 am

Mid August i will travel with my family along the south coast of England. Are there any tips which rivers are suitable for Tenkara fishing?
Wupperfischer

Re: Spots in the south

Postby C. Pearce » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Living as I do at the other end of the country I was waiting to see if anybody who knows more about this than I do would reply, but since they haven't I'll wade in.

The rivers that enter the sea along the Sussex coast, characterful though they are, are primarily coarse fisheries and not suited fly fishing especially in their lower reaches.

Coming to Hampshire and Dorset, most of the rivers are of the chalkstream type, or near it and trouting tends to be very expensive. However many of them hold excellent coarse fish and you should be able to fish the lower part of the Avon and the river Stour for dace, chub and grayling at a reasonable cost.

In Devon the situation changes with plenty of water very suited to tenkara at a reasonable price, particularly on Dartmoor and Exmoor, where you can follow in Cutcliffes footsteps on the banks of the Mole, Barle and Bray etc.
C. Pearce

Postby C. Pearce » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:28 pm

For some reason the previous window wouldn't take any more type, so I'm carrying on here.

There are many suitable streams and you should find the following websites helpful: westcountryangling.com 'phone 01579 372140,
gethooked.co.uk/riversmap

and for Exmoor; Nick Hart Fly Fishing, 'phone 01398 323008 or 07971198558.He is coach and guide, but should be able to sell you permits or put you in touch with people who can.
C. Pearce

Postby Wupperfischer » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Many many thanks, that helps alot.
Wupperfischer

Return to Tenkara UK