Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

tenkara in cumbria

tenkara in cumbria

Postby steven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

hello all
now that I have been fishing a few times with the tenkara rods, I thought I would share some of my experiences.most of my fishing is on the river Eden at Carlisle, Cumbria,and the river irthing near Carlisle.the pictures above are from the river irthing.on this river ,i use a 12ft iwana.the rod feels really light and is a joy to use.now the weather is warming up ,most of the fish are coming to small dry flies.most days I catch about 10 or more trout and grayling. I think this is far more than if I was using normal western tackle.the fly lands on the water so much more quietly with tenkara,that you do not spook the fish anywhere near as much.
the river Eden is a much bigger river.on this I use my amago.i have only used this a couple of times,and to be honest I prefer the iwana.the amago feels that bit heavier.
I hope the pictures turn out OK(this is my first go at this and i had to get my son to help out !),once I get the hang of it , I will post some more.tight lines to you all.
thanks Steve
steven

Re: tenkara in cumbria

Postby dwalker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the report and the pics, nice looking fish.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 am

Hey Steve,

Thanks for posting. Nice grayling. Still hoping to catch one, one of these days.

Indeed the Amago does feel heavier than the Iwana. It was designed to bring in some larger fish with ease, it does a great job at that.
Tight lines!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby ConorUK » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:04 pm

hi steve, look forward to more on your Tenkara visits in cumbria, they are two nice rivers you have access to! conor
ConorUK

Postby steven » Sat May 07, 2011 9:05 am

hello all
i just wanted to show you some pictures from the river irthing.i had a few hours on the river and caught 5 trout and 8 grayling.all fish were on the dry fly,a size 16 black gnat.most of the fish were in the 8 -10 inch range ,but i had one big grayling.
the only slight disapointment was i lost a trout about the same size as the big grayling.
all in all ,another good day with the iwana !
tight lines ,steve.
Attachments
070511-1107.jpg
pool where i started the day.this produced 3 trout,and 3 grayling
070511-1307(002).jpg
swim where the big grayling was caught
070511-1306(002).jpg
biggest fish of the day.the inside size of the net is 15"
steven

Postby steven » Tue May 24, 2011 12:02 pm

hi all
had another morning on the river irthing.today was very windy,so the main thing was to find some shelterd area's to fish.i found a nice run between two high banks ,with the wind blowing over the top.this meant the casting was quite esay here.i fished with small size 16 dry flies.
best fly today was a sherry spinner.
out of this run i had half dozen trout and grayling.the best grayling was about 14",and the best trout went about 16".
it was a pity about the wind,as i could not really fish some swims.i do not know what it is like when you go fishing ,but here the wind always seams to blow at the weekends !
tight lines ,steve.
Attachments
210511-1050(002).jpg
this is the swim that produced the fish
210511-1124.jpg
today's biggest trout.
steven

Postby RockyMtnTenkara » Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Steven,

Beautiful fish, and thanks for the update. Personally, I deal with wind all the time as do some of the other Tenkara folks especially those that fish in the Western part of the U.S. The best combination I have found in dealing with wind is: 1) Use a faster action rod like the Yamame (this is undoubtedly nothing more than personal preference. I can't say that using a faster rod will help if it's not something you prefer already); 2) Use a heavier level line. The traditional furled lines do not, in my opinion, deal with wind well at all, especially if you fish with a longer line, which you might be doing if you are fishing a larger river like you mentioned with a rod like the Amago; 3) Keep your casts as low to the water as possible and put yourself in an advantageous position relative to the wind; and 4) Shorten your leader formula.

It's not until you deal with wind on a regular basis that you miss the ability to "double-haul" or, in other words, effectuate more line speed in order to load the rod. Sometimes when it is extremely windy and I refuse to give up and call it a day I resort to fishing downstream and more of what I guess I would call a dapping technique with sub-surface flies. From the picture you posted it looks like the river had quite a bit of cover, so your technique of moving up river and finding less windy positions is probably the most effective. A lot of our rivers at higher elevations in the west do not provide the level of tree coverage that you river does, so when the wind blows you have no option but to either give it a shot or call it a day (which I admittedly do a lot less often than I probably ought).

The best fisherman is the one having the most fun!
RockyMtnTenkara

Postby steven » Tue May 24, 2011 11:50 pm

hi rockymtntenkara
thanks for the tips.i have found thru my own trail and error ,that a tippet of about 24-30" often helps a bit when its windy.also like you say ,drifting a fly downstream ,also can beat the wind.
if i ever come into money(unlikely,unless i have a lottery win !),i would love to fish the rivers of the western USA,the scenery looks so good.
thanks steve
steven

Return to Tenkara UK