Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara in ARIZONA

Going fishing? Take a tenkara angler :) Or take a western fly-angler, show them tenkara fly-fishing, and brag about how you caught 5x more fish than they did (if they didn't take your tenkara rod from you that is).

Re: Tenkara in ARIZONA

Postby azwaterman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:53 am

Wow...I guess Tenkara in Arizona is picking up steam. I started this thread a couple of years ago and figured it would've died out by now. I guess I was wrong about that!

I'd like to meet with you guys and get some advice on which rod and gear to buy. I purchased one from Tenkararodco.com but I sent it back...just didn't feel right. Maybe it was me and how I was casting it.

Anyway, I live in Tempe and would love to get involved with this club at some point. If any of you have the Tenkarausa rods maybe I can see what they look like in person??? I'm leaning towards the three-zoom Rhodo.

Eric
azwaterman

Postby gtorres34 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:53 am

Hey Eric! I don't think we have officially decided on a date/time for the next meet up, but I will keep you posted here when we do.

I have a TUSA Amago that i can bring for you to check out. I was also interested in the Rhodo, but have been leaning more toward a single 8-8.5ft rod, so i am still shopping around. If i cant find anything i like soon, i may get myself a Rhodo for Christmas :)
gtorres34

Postby azwaterman » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Hey gtorres34,

Thanks for the update on the group meeting.

I recently purchased a gently used Rhodo. I have to say I really love it! I like having option of three different lengths. It has nice flex action and is a blast fighting small fish. I've caught numerous sunfish and one bass with it and each time I hook up with one it brings a smile to my face. It's a great rod and I would recommend it to anyone considering a smaller rod.

Look forward to meeting you at the next meeting.

Eric
azwaterman

Postby SpranK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Hi,
I forgot my login info and kinda forgot about this topic. Is this still a happening thing? Thanks
Thanks
SpranK
SpranK

Postby azwaterman » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:13 am

Hey Sprank,

Not sure what's going on right now with the local group, but for me fishing goes dormant until spring. I can't speak for the rest of the local guys, but I don't think they're doing too much fishing right now either, but I could be wrong.

Stay in touch,

Eric
azwaterman

Postby itsjaywhatsup » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:39 pm

It's been a really busy year for me so unfortunately not much fishing in the summer/fall for me, but I got out a lot in the spring and did manage a trip to the White Mountains in September. I did get a couple new rods though and actually have some free time, so I'm sure I'll be going soon.
itsjaywhatsup

Tenkara in ARIZONA

Postby SpranK_13 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:45 am

My nephew and I drove to payson last week to do some hiking and fishing. We hiked along Horton creek heading up to the spring. We saw some of the native brown but did not have any luck landing them. Fun none the less.
ImageImage
SpranK_13

Postby Adam Trahan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:26 pm

John and I are fishing urban Tenkara in Phoenix. It's a blast. Just a few minutes and you are into trout.

It's funny, I only fish wild (naturally reproducing) trout streams.

But in the city? Heck yeah! It's totally fun and taking stocked trout with kebari is a whole other skill. They do respond to Tenkara, we have been taking them and some are quite large, "incentive" fish is what the AZGF calls them. I've seen quite a few over 14"

So, no, not dormant, yes, urban fishing and I get up to the rim streams once per month in the winter months.

Far as the ATC (Arizona Tenkara Club) goes, we are due for a meeting.

Are you guys up to it?

We meet at Boulders on Broadway in Tempe.

A couple of us want to do a tie fly meet but I think it might be best if we meet at Boulders.

...or a meet at one of the ramadas by a urban lake?
Adam Trahan

Postby SpranK_13 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:34 am

What urban areas are you pulling trout from? I often fish the Papago ponds and land blue gill and bass, never a trout. I hit them up on Monday and it was a ghost town.
SpranK_13

Postby maxhart29 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:21 am

I live and work in london. What about you guyz?
maxhart29

PreviousNext

Return to Outings and Gatherings