Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara in ARIZONA

Going fishing? Take a tenkara angler :) Or take a western fly-angler, show them tenkara fly-fishing, and brag about how you caught 5x more fish than they did (if they didn't take your tenkara rod from you that is).

Re: Tenkara in ARIZONA

Postby basshunter » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:23 pm

Let us know how you do today. What urban lake looks the best? I have fished ASU before but not this year.
basshunter

Postby SleepFishing » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Will do.

To sum up the local lakes here this year.

Tempe Town Lake = good chance of catching, but mostly small bass 1-2lbs is the best I got.
McKellips = I got 3-4 bass earlier this year (before the century flooded) 3lbs or so.
Chaparrals = Caught one almost 4lbs last week, went back few days ago, but they just stocked the catfish and they are ALL die( I mean all, sad) . The smell was unbearable so I left early.

I went back to Hallman pond the other day around 10am and there's was a school of bass around 1-3lbs just trolling around right under my foot.. .I was freaking out, but of course they were scared of my plastic worm, smelled my night crawler but slowly swim away... Didn't really know what they want, maybe it was too late during the day. This is why I want Tenkara, maybe on a fly ... :)
SleepFishing

Postby leeazjr » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 pm

I got up to the payson area for a few days of tenkara in some of the small creeks. I had a blast with the small brown trout. They were pretty aggressive, taking flies off the top with a vengeance. I didn't catch anything big, but the little guys were fighting pretty good. Anybody else been up there?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413348291.815684.jpg
leeazjr

Postby SleepFishing » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:24 am

Nice....

I didn't know there's creeks in Payson that have brown trout? I went to Wood Canyon lake 3 weeks ago, rented the boat, got a lot of rainbows (3 on tenkara rod) but no brown.
SleepFishing

Postby cheinzmann » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Anyone have some time for a meetup? I need a little help casting, my line is piling up when I cast and am not getting the distance or precision I would like. I think I am used to 'Western' lines and am waiting to feel the load on the rod, there isn't any really. I keep watching videos online but can't seem to get the timing down.
I live in the E Valley and work in Chandler, but can travel given some heads up. It doesn't even have to be around water for me, I just want to watch and learn. Some of the E Valley Libraries have lakes and there is where I am trying my luck.
Any help would be appreciated. I work at Intel in Chandler.

chris
four 8 zero - two 8 5 - four three six 8 is my cell, text or call.
cheinzmann

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:22 pm

http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/showthrea ... nkara-Club

That is a little bit more info on the first club meeting.

We will do this at Boulders on Broadway: http://bouldersonbroadway.com Tempe location next month, August in the evening.

I will post the date in a reply here in the next few days.

The first meeting will be a simple introduction and to see where you guys want to take it. I'll bring old Japanese Tenkara books and my laptop with Yuzo Sebata's movie of him fishing in the great western rivers of the USA.

At a minimum, I think we should have one person drive the meeting, we can vote on that but for the first one, I'll do it since I seem to be the person who is trying to put us together.

For those of you reading, I think a mission statement should be something we need to think about. Something like, "To promote Tenkara in Arizona by increasing the awareness and understanding of Japanese style fly fishing." or something like that.

The reason why I want us to meet is to share in my love of this great way to fish with fellow enthusiasts. In short, hoping to meet some more Tenkara fishing friends.

Thanks guys, hope to see you there.
Adam Trahan

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 pm

Ok, we have a date.

Thursday, August 13th at 7p

Boulders on Broadway, Tempe location.

http://bouldersonbroadway.com/locations

We have the support of the venue.

Please join us for our first meeting.
Adam Trahan

Postby gtorres34 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Nice! I am in Tucson, but I hope I can make it to Boulders next Thursday!

All my fishermen friends (Ack! bait fishermen! JK...) are tired of hearing about Tenkara this and that
gtorres34

Postby Adam Trahan » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:53 pm

Hey, I saw that at the local fly fishing web site.

I think that is really cool you will be making it.

It's finally happening and I think you will like Boulders on Broadway. The food is excellent.

I'll make sure to bring some show and tell stuff for you, I want to make sure it is worth the price of admission.

Thanks everyone in advance for attending.
Adam Trahan

Postby Adam Trahan » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:14 pm

We meet, it was great, we will meet quarterly. We changed the name to "Arizona Tenkara Club" and it's a start with everyone super helpful and positive about meeting again.
Adam Trahan

PreviousNext

Return to Outings and Gatherings