Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Price suggestion for used Iwana

No more need for your reel or western fly-rod? This is the place to dispose of it!
If you're making unique tenkara gear PLEASE CONTACT US by email before posting! Sales of used Tenkara USA rods okay but not of other brands.
Forum rules - If selling tenkara gear, you'll need authorization from us by email - this is only open to individuals with a unique and complimentary product. The forum is not open for sales by companies. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Tenkara USA is NOT responsible for any conflicts or problems arising from sales via the forum, and will NOT become involved, mediate or interfere should any problems arise. Transactions are conducted between buyer and seller, and we expect honest transactions between individuals.
- Tenkara USA reserves the right to discontinue sales of any product offered by users via our online forum, for any reason and without notice.

Price suggestion for used Iwana

Postby Chris P » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:11 pm

Hello,
I have a buyer for my 12ft Iwana that I have had for 2-3 yrs. Good condition. Will be selling rod only/sock and tube
Only selling because I purchased a new one

I am trying to get suggestions on a good price to ask.

Thanks!

Chris
Chris P

Re: Price suggestion for used Iwana

Postby dwalker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:46 am

I have a 12ft Iwana, haven't tried to sale it. So no personal experience.

New ones are $157. Get to close to that it might be a good haggling price, but it won't sale.
Some people always like to haggle over the price. My brother won't buy anything, new or used, without haggling over the price. So maybe a good idea to ask a bit more than you expect to sale it for. However, some people like to just ask for what they consider a fair price and stick to it.

Have you looked back through the old Marketplace post here to see what price people asked for their 12 ft Iwana ? And what they finally sold for, if the final selling price was given.
Or done a google search to see what price was asked for one on eBay or Craigslist?

With just a quick look ( not an extensive look), I saw people often ask $125. But frequently it wasn't stated if they actually got that price. One started there and eventually sold for $90. Somewhere between $120 - $80 might be a good ball park price. But it's of course up to you to find current prices they are selling for so you don't short change yourself.

Depends on if it still looks new or is scratched up a bit. Determine your price, either what you expect to receive or a haggling price. And if selling online, pictures help. Or hurt if it's a bit ruffed up or has dirty looking cork. Best to be as forthcoming on the rod's condition as possible to keep a happy customer. No one is ever upset getting a used item that is in better condition than expected for the price they paid.

Good luck. With the sale and with the new rod. ;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby cody91 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Doesn't seem too many folks are frequenting this marketplace or folks just aren't buy used tenkara rods.
cody91

Postby mikeywill » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:04 pm

it ebbs and flows. social media has made things more instantaneous. i've bought a few things via the marketplace. always been happy with the deal.
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Postby Chris P » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I did do a brief search on the forum and eBay but not extensive. Found similar to what you guys posted - around $115-$120 but they never gave specifics of the rod condition etc.

It will be re-homed to a friend of a friend so I want to be fair. Either way, it will help defray some of the cost of the new one - as I am trying to convince myself I don't need 2 :)

Thanks again!
Chris P

Postby mikeywill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:07 am

personally, i'd keep it as a back up. i've broken two being stupid while out in the middle of nowheres, and having another rod to whip out was a blessing. i actually usually take three because i like playing around with the variety of actions and lengths.

if you do decide to sell it, maybe ask $100. if the dude is a beginner, throw in some line and whatnots, and if he wants to haggle go as low as $80. as a final thought, i am pretty sure that the iwana has gone on sale here more than once for around $100...
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Return to Marketplace