The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

WTB fly vice/fly tying materials

No more need for your reel or western fly-rod? This is the place to dispose of it!
If you're making unique tenkara gear PLEASE CONTACT US by email before posting! Sales of used Tenkara USA rods okay but not of other brands.
Forum rules - If selling tenkara gear, you'll need authorization from us by email - this is only open to individuals with a unique and complimentary product. The forum is not open for sales by companies. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Tenkara USA is NOT responsible for any conflicts or problems arising from sales via the forum, and will NOT become involved, mediate or interfere should any problems arise. Transactions are conducted between buyer and seller, and we expect honest transactions between individuals.
- Tenkara USA reserves the right to discontinue sales of any product offered by users via our online forum, for any reason and without notice.

WTB fly vice/fly tying materials

Postby sbrown77 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Hello all, just purchased a tenkara rod, very exited. Not too exited about having to buy reverse hackle flys online and pay for shipping. Wondering if any of you have an old vice laying around that you want to get rid of. Doesn't need to be fancy, just something for a beginner to start on. Perhaps a bobbin or two, and any other essentials. I don't want to spend more then $40. Can anyone help me out? Thanks
sbrown77

Re: WTB fly vice/fly tying materials

Postby Darrin Terry » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:47 pm

First, welcome to tenkara fishing.

Second, while I don't have a second vise to part with, I will say this. Don't feel you have to buy reverse hackled flies. If you already fly fish, fish the flies you have. If you're new to fly fishing in general, find a shop in your area and pick up some flies there. Do keep in mind that most flies in shops are tied to catch you, not fish. What I mean by that is if you were able to look into the fly boxes of people who fish a given area successfully, you would likely find a very different selection from what is in the shop.

If you want to fish dry flies on a small creek for trout, it's hard to go wrong with and Adams Dry (sizes 14-18) or Parachute Adams (sizes 14-18), a Elk Hair Caddis (sizes 14-16) or a Griffiths Gnat (sizes 18-20). Those three patterns have worked for me almost anywhere I've used them. Royal Trudes used to be a favorite as well in size 14. I currently carry Stimulators in size 14 for dry fly fishing on creeks as they can be used to imitate a wide variety of insects such as caddis, bees, wasps, stoneflies and grasshoppers.

You can fish subsurface using just about any nymph pattern you want as well. Pheasant Tails and Hare's Ears (sizes 16-20) are usually good but a few larger ones if you've stoneflies in your waters. Caddis patterns for both larval and pupae stages are a good idea. I like Czech Nymphs for caddis larvae and Deep Sparkle Pupas for pupae.

Small streamers can be done as well. Thinking Wooly Buggers in sizes 12-16, though you may or may not be able to buy them below size 14.

The point here is you can always get into tying later when and if you decide you want to go that route. Cheap vises are notoriously crap. I've had several friends go with a cheap vise and had it last less than a year before it fell apart on them. That said, if you still want to get a vise, check out this VISE REVIEW
The reviews are a few years old now but the better reviewed vises are still around. I like a rotary vise myself, but they are not an absolute must.

Also, contrary to what many folks will say, I don't think tying your own flies is really cheaper than buying them. Not when factor in the costs of getting the vise and tools and everything. I know people who litterally have entire rooms devoted to fly tying. Some do it professionally, some don't. The upshot of tying your own is that you may get a little extra kick catching fish on flies you've tied. I do. Another bonus is that you can fine tune the flies in your fly box to what really works for you. I think most of us that tie carry flies that simply cannot be bought anywhere because we adapt things to what our own experience says works. For instance, I tie my deep sparkle pupas a little different than my buddy does, and he does them a little different from his friend that showed him the pattern. His friend learned the pattern from Gary Lafontaine (he created the pattern) directly as I understand it. They all work for us. This year I've been playing around with a soft hackle tied with a purple holographic tinsel body, over coated with UV Knot Sense and cured prior to tying in the hackle. So far it seems to work well, but it's only had a few weeks testing. It may not survive. We'll see.

Hope some of this is helpful and that you find 'your' way. None of this should be taken as me saying that you should not fish the reverse hackled flies. That is actually how I intend to fish this season for the most part. I love the drifts with a dry fly I've got using a tenkara rod, but want to keep learning new methods. I want to have as many tools in the bag as possible.

Have fun and let us know how things progress for you.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby tntom » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:10 am

PM sent.
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby sbrown77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:38 am

Thanks so much for that reply Darrin! Lots of good info there. I went out yesterday and had great luck with the elk hair caddis catching a few golden trout on a small creek outside bozeman. Although tying my own flies is right up my alley and I believe there is a lot more to be learned between the fly/fish relationship when your making your own and choosing your own materials. Like you said, you tie a certain pattern differently based on your experience with the pattern. I love this sport because there is so much to learn, I think tying my own flies is the next step. I'll stick with my current western patterns and the few reverse hackle I purchased with my rod, but eventually would like to make the shift into using only flies i tie with reverse hackle flies that work so well with tenkara.
sbrown77

Postby Darrin Terry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:45 am

No problem. Glad you're jumping on the boat with us. Again, I don't want to keep you from tying or fishing in any particular manner. It sounds to me like you are headed down the right road in terms of fly tying. There are some decent vises out there that can be had for decent prices. I use a Peak rotary vise which is a mid-level priced vise, but seems to be rock solid in terms of quality. It's just not as fancy in finish as some of the higher priced vises, but functions just as well. I chose it in part because of its review at the link I gave you in my first post.

Good luck and as I said, let us know how the journey is going. Also, post some fish pics for us some time. We like those. Maybe some pics of flies once you get going too. I am sure there are people who will offer advice on your ties and help you figure things out whether you are doing reverse hackle flies or dries or whatever.
Darrin Terry

Postby sbrown77 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:27 pm

cheers darrin, thanks for your input. the tenkara journey is going splendid, attached is a photo of a little golden trout I caught on my second cast with my new ayu. not the correct place to post it, but ill get the hang of this forum soon, there seems to be a wealth of knowledge and a great community.

sbrown77

Postby Darrin Terry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Nice fish. I am not sure it's a golden, though it may be a hybrid. Too many spots down the sides of its body. There are, I believe, three types of golden trout. The Little Kern Golden, the Volcano Creek Golden and the Kern River Rainbow.

The Volcano Creek Golden only has spots on the tail and tapering up towards the dorsal fin. It also is the most brightly colored of the golden trout. The other two varieties can have spots up towards head, but they tend to be mostly limited to the upper half of the body. There tends to be a lot interbreeding with rainbows where both are present as the golden trout is simply a subspecies of rainbow trout. My understanding is that as the spots increase in area, the likelihood of a fish being a hybrid also increase. Golden trout have been planted in waters all over between California and Montana so who knows.

I don't want to rain on your parade here, and I could be wrong. Regardless, that's a nice fish with some great color.
Darrin Terry

Postby narcodog » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

I have to agree with DT that does not look like a Golden. More like a Rainbow.
narcodog

Postby sbrown77 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 am

aw your not raining on anyones parade, golden or not i was happy to be catching fish. thats another thing I could use some work in, species identification. I went out yesterday with a few of the flies you mentioned darrin, fished a hares ear all day on a high mountain lake that was still 2/3 frozen. caught 15 of these guys no smaller then the one in the pic, talk about a deadly pattern! And a learning experience landing bigger fishing with such a soft rod and longer tippet. cheers.

sbrown77

Postby Darrin Terry » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:17 am

Congrats! Glad you're getting into em. :D
Darrin Terry

Next

Return to Marketplace