Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Closing the rod

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Closing the rod

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:46 am

The number one reason why tenkara rods may break is the improper closing of the rod.

The rods are not fragile when it comes to catching fish and taking a load. However, they are delicate tools that need to be properly opened and closed.

Rule #1: Do not put any sideway pressure on any rod segments when closing the rod: this may be hard to notice sometimes, but particularly on the thinner segments (tip and 2 following) it's easy to apply sideway pressure and break the rod. To avoid this, hold segment at its thickest part, closest to the joint. Hold thinner tip segments with your fingers, not entire hand. If the pieces are stuck, try some gentle tapping: hold stuck piece and gently lift it up and tap it down a few times to dislodge it and make it slide down.

Rule #2: Do not push tip segment in first: doing so will cause tip piece to prevent others from closing and may break the tip.

Rule #3: Always close the rod when transporting it over great lengths or walking in the woods for an extended period of time. This takes only a few seconds to do and will prevent you from hitting the tip on a tree or hard object and have it break.
Attachments
closing1.jpg
closing1.jpg (37.58 KiB) Viewed 21322 times
closingrod_tips.jpg
closingrod_tips.jpg (104.8 KiB) Viewed 21326 times
closing_stuck1.jpg
closing_stuck1.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 21325 times
stucktip.jpg
stucktip.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 21320 times
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: Closing the rod

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:01 am

New illustrations
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rvrgzr » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:13 am

Oh... :shock: so that's why taking a large river rock and bashing the sections doesn't work well!
rvrgzr

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:40 pm

HEHE! That's right! Bashing a rock on the sections will not work! :D Pliers and wrenches also won't help :geek:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Salvage » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the video. I opened my new Iwana rod today and the tip section accidentially slipped first back into the rod and got stuck. The video helped me to unstuck this section. Not the best start but hopefully smooth sailing from here on out.
Cheers,
Salvage
Salvage

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:35 am

This happens kind of frequently with new rods, particularly because they often don't have a knot on the tip. Glad you figured it out through the video.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jbenenson » Wed May 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I find that the best way to open a rod is to attach the illian to a tree, then hang onto the butt and drive away. Man, that thing gets straight fast!! To close it I do just the opposite: tie the illian to a tree and put the car into reverse. As long as you back up straight it seems to work quite well. :geek:
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Wed May 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Salvage wrote:Hi Daniel,
Thank you for the video. I opened my new Iwana rod today and the tip section accidentially slipped first back into the rod and got stuck. The video helped me to unstuck this section. Not the best start but hopefully smooth sailing from here on out.
Cheers,
Salvage

My wife Sherry was off the day our rods arrived and when we met for lunch she got two of the middle sections jammed. I wonder if it happens more often than we hear about on the website for first timers. :D
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to Gear Maintenance