Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

the deep clean from the blog

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

the deep clean from the blog

Postby mikeywill » Mon May 06, 2013 9:29 pm

howdy,

i'm curious to know if the deep winter clean noted on the blog (involving triflow, denatured alcohol, and shellac) is still recommended. to me, someone who keeps all three on hand for everything from refurb'ing a shovel handle with shellac and alcohol, to all the things i lube other than my bikes with triflow, it seems kosher. i just want to be sure.

thanks,

-mike
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Re: the deep clean from the blog

Postby mikeywill » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:06 pm

any thoughts on this?
mikeywill

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:48 pm

Hey Damon, not sure what blog post that is/was but for me, I only use the very basics of cleaning before storing my rods, and in 4 years, all are performing very well.

Other than after each use where I take the rod apart wiping down moisture from each segment and letting these segments air-out overnight in my home bathroom, I do nothing else before storing for a week or over the whole winter.

I just make sure there is no grit and grime on segments and let them all naturally air out after a quick wipe. I then put my rod back together and in the sock and case it goes.

I have not found any need to use any other cleaning material to keep my rods in tip top shape. Others may differ but that is what works for me.

Keep It Simple is what I do.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby tvdavis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 am

I agree with TJ. Keep it simple. Wipe off, dry over night, then reassemble and store. Avoid chemicals, solvents, coatings......

-Tom
tvdavis

Postby CuriousLayman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:54 pm

I believe this is the TUSA blog post mentioned:
http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=4151
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Postby mikeywill » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 pm

yes, that is the post i was refering to.

thanks for the input, y'all.
mikeywill

Postby tsegelke » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Yep it's time for clean up and maintenance.

I do not prescribe to use of the Alchohol or other chemicals. I am not sure, but am wary of them stripping and/or weakening the finish of the rod. So I only use warm water. Sometimes I add a little bit of soap, but make sure I rinse very thoroughly.
tsegelke

Postby amatbrewer » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 am

I spent a weekend in the mountains backpacking and fishing. As one would expect for a HOT/DRY summer in the Pacific Northwest…it was cold, windy, and rained the entire trip. So obviously most of my gear including my nice new SADO rod got and stayed wet. The day after returning I got around to drying my rod. I tried leaving the collapsed rod with the end caps removed overnight, but the following day it was still wet and starting to get a musty smell. I dissembled the entire rod, wiped down the exterior, and left it for another day. The interior of all but the top most section was dry and most of the musty smell is gone.

My primary use of this pole is for backpacking in the mountains, so having it wet for at least a few days at a stretch (if not longer) WILL happen again.

The question that I am still left with after reading the other posts is what can be used to clean the rod that will not harm the finish but will remove any mold/fungi/bacteria that can develop during prolonged exposure to moisture? I am not sure if mild soap would be sufficient, and am hesitant to use anything stronger. As noted in another discussion Alcohol (such as the denatured alcohol, or Vodka) would seem to be a good option assuming it will not hurt the finish, but it is not clear if it is actually safe to use on the finish.

Anyone know for sure what would be safe but effective for cleaning a rod after prolonged exposure to moisture?
amatbrewer

Postby dwalker » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:33 pm

Sakakibara Masami keeps it basic and simple. I doubt you'll find anyone more knowledgeable about all that is needed.

How to clean up Tenkara rods . 5:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TI_Ki2y9kc

Don't avoid reading the English text caution at the end.

:)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to Gear Maintenance