Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Clean your Tenkara rod after use!!!!

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Clean your Tenkara rod after use!!!!

Postby SamEureka » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm

I just experienced first hand how important it is to clean your Tenkara rod after using it! I am usually good about cleaning my gear... I fished the Rose River yesterday and didn't clean my rod when I got home. It's only been a day and you wouldn't believe the nasty smell coming from the rod segments!! I don't know what the rancid water would to the rod long term, but going on smell alone... clean your rod after using it!

//Sam
><))))°>
SamEureka

Re: Clean your Tenkara rod after use!!!!

Postby Coasterbrookie » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:13 pm

My waders could use it too!
Coasterbrookie

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:59 am

Sam,

You're absolutely correct, but a bigger issue is the damage that can be done to the finish of the rod. Also, if grit gets into the rod it can really scratch your blank. Thanks for posting and reminding people to do this on occasion. Tenkara rods are wonderfully simple tools, but the a little maintenance helps.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Mercuriocm1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey John,

I just got my ayu II out after not using it for awhile and I found lots of grit in it!? Unfortunately I ended up getting some scratches to the finish on the first large segment. Is there any safe way to clean these up (super fine polish? I've heard of guys using 3m plastic polish of their fly rods)? Is it just cosmetic or should I be worried about the rods integrity? Nothing's very deep...just surface. I got home today and got all my rods out for a good cleaning :).

Chris
Mercuriocm1

Postby breininger8663 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:08 pm

What cleanser is best suited to cleaning tenkara rods, mild soap and water? Is there a lubricant or polish that should be used afterward?
breininger8663

Postby Nagasaurus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:58 am

A soft cloth and water is all that should be needed. Mild soaps can certainly used if the rod is especially dirty for some reason.

Any sort of lubricant or wax would cause dust and dirt to stick to the rod so the rod sections should be left clean and dry without any added coatings.
Nagasaurus

Postby adventureR » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 am

I think it's also possible that those dirty segment scratches from opening and closing the rod on the water may have a second issue along with weaknesses from numberous scratches. Mildew could be compounding the dirty gear issue. I imagine the mystery breakage issues some may encounter could be from the secondary weakening though Fungal growth in the wet rod with plenty of extra surface area caused by the scratches. There could be a Fungus among us! :mrgreen:
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby msteudel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:08 pm

My rod is pretty wet after dunking it, do I just open the cap and push all the pieces out and lay them out to dry somewhere?
-----------------------
Work

Play

http://www.theweavils.com = Music
msteudel

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Yes just unscrew the handle cap, remove all the segments, wipe them all off, and let air-dry. Once dry, put it all back together. The last two pieces of the rod (tipset) no need to undo those. I just open those last two segments, dry them, let air dry open. Once a knot is in that tip you can't really take those two apart but no need to do anyway.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby GregM » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 pm

I would also look down the "bore" of each segment to see if it is full of crud.

If you lay your rod down on the bank, for instance while landing a fish, sand and dirt can adhere to the segments. Then when you collapse your rod, some of that can get carried inside. The next time you extend your rod you will hear a horrible grating noise, and discover scratches in that once pristine finish. It a worst case scenario you can lock the two sections together with a small grain of sand.

I use a small diameter carbon fiber rod (from kite making) to push a wad of paper towel through each segment. (I would not use anything that could scratch the carbon fiber - no coat hangers!)
Last edited by GregM on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregM

Next

Return to Gear Maintenance