Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Three helpful finds

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Three helpful finds

Postby glStephenson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 am

I was cleaning up my amago rod and and found a weak spot on the tip ready to break, thus my first date with Miss Lillian. I tried to use the old short piece to no avail. I started looking for something in my flytying room that was braided that might work. Bingo, I found an old section of leadcore line. If I can recall it was on the lighter side of the series 18-20 lbs. If you have ever connected mono to leadcore you now exactly what I am referring to. The outer core is braided and works as a pefect lillian. Its so easy to peal back and remove the lead and fits easily on the tip.

My second find has to do with material to connect to the lillian knot. I found a spool of extreme tippet from Rio, 3X 20lbs test in my flytying room. Not sure where I got it but have since purchased some from the flyshop in California and it works really well as a girth knot connector.

My third find has been while making my own kebari from straight pins and hat pins I started using the Rio Extreme 3X tippit as the loop material. Hope this is helpful!
Feeling Reel Free!
Amago, Ito, Iwana !2'
I am passionate about trolling the lakes of Colorado with my flyrod for trophy trout, Tying Innovative Flys, and fishing Tenkara style every chance I get.
glStephenson

Re: Three helpful finds

Postby tsegelke » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:15 am

Nice ideas thanks.
tsegelke

Return to Gear Maintenance