Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

high inside temp. of parked car ruin rod???

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

high inside temp. of parked car ruin rod???

Postby achilles38 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I often leave my Amago and 2 Iwana's in the car so they are ready in case my kids, wife, or I want to fish one of the few ponds on the way home from work/school. It's getting pretty hot here now and I wondered if the heat inside my car would ruin the rod, finish, any adhesive on the cork or anywhere on the rod or lillian. This past week it was 95 one day, with my car in the sun all day, but the rods are in the trunk out of sunlight. However, it was probably 105-110 in my car, and it will only get hotter as we get closer to summer. Summer is typically 95-115 during the day, so inside the car is probably 125-145 degrees.

thanks,
Jeremy
achilles38

Re: high inside temp. of parked car ruin rod???

Postby adventureR » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:18 pm

I have found water or maybe condesation build up is bad for the finish. The adhesive under the cork could easily get gummy with high temps. I would store the rods inside. At the same time a spur of the moment trip is always nice. So I guess it's up to you. If possible I would always make sure the rod is good and clean/dry after use.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Softouch333 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm

I confess. I abuse my rods and leave them in my hot truck frequently. No problem. The carbon is of course highly stable (though flammable--never loosen with a Bic lighter which I saw tested unhappily), Its the resin that is potentially meltable. Daniel might be able to tell you the resin composition, often epoxy with polyvinyl or polyester.

Don't forget that leaving you nylon tippet in the sun is a big no-no. UV degradable.

Kevin
Softouch333

Postby Charlie P. » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Possible. The carbon fibers are good outside a solar furnace but the resin matrix they are in is heat sensitive. Why risk it? Keep them in the tube in the trunk.

Field bows for archery used to use white glass limbs becuse the black absorbed too much heat in a day of shooting and could weaken.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
Charlie P.

Return to Gear Maintenance