Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Cork Handle

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Cork Handle

Postby loafskibum » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:22 am

Is there anything I should put on the cork handle to give it a longer life or protect it?
loafskibum

Re: Cork Handle

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:37 am

I typically treat all my cork handles (tenkara and other fly rods) with cork sealer. I like the look and feel better and it is protecting the cork somewhat. Every rod building outfit should carry some.
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby williamhj » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:41 am

goneflyfishing wrote:I typically treat all my cork handles (tenkara and other fly rods) with cork sealer. I like the look and feel better and it is protecting the cork somewhat. Every rod building outfit should carry some.

x2 - I use U40 cork sealer available on rod building sites and ebay. It does darken the cork a bit. It's not necessary to do and some people prefer to seal their grips with fish slime :) Really a personal choice.
williamhj

Postby Anthony » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 am

I don't think that cork really needs any product - just my preference. I have rods that I've used for 20 years - without paying any special attention to the cork - and it is in fine condition.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am

I'll occasionally clean mine with one of those magic eraser sponges, but you have to be careful or you'll pull out any filler. Jay Pape wrote a nice article on gear maintenance for us; he uses shellac on the handle. I haven't tried it but it gives the cork a cool look and I'm sure does a nice job of protecting it.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Kuhlow » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:46 am

This will probably seem very strange to most of you but I have never removed the plastic wrap from my cork handles when I received them from TUSA. My first rod, a Yamame, was purchased in early 2010 and it still looks new. When it comes to my gear I'm a little fanatical. (I even have Mepps spinners from when I was a kid that look like they just came out of a package.) I figured I would remove the wrapping at some point but just never have.
Kuhlow

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Kuhlow wrote:This will probably seem very strange to most of you but I have never removed the plastic wrap from my cork handles when I received them from TUSA. My first rod, a Yamame, was purchased in early 2010 and it still looks new. When it comes to my gear I'm a little fanatical. (I even have Mepps spinners from when I was a kid that look like they just came out of a package.) I figured I would remove the wrapping at some point but just never have.

... that reminds me a bit of those folks keeping clear plastic covers on their sofas. No hard feelings, ok Chris?
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby Kuhlow » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Karel.....I never realized not taking the wrap off the cork handle was that kind of strange... :lol:
Kuhlow

Postby Skinhead » Sun May 26, 2013 1:21 am

Leaving the plastic wrap on the handle can also lead to mould growing on the handle if any moisture gets beneath the plastic. I always remove the wrapping as soon as I gat a new rod. I've never treated my handles with anything, but have read before on a rod building site that Tru Oil is good.
シモン
Skinhead

Postby tntom » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:16 am

loafskibum wrote:Is there anything I should put on the cork handle to give it a longer life or protect it?

Fish Slime :mrgreen:

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Next

Return to Gear Maintenance