Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Cleaning Cork

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Cleaning Cork

Postby darcy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Not mentioned here to date is how to clean the cork handle on these rods, and the handles will get dirty over time, (sweat, fish slime, mud, etc.). Cork is used because of it's natural softness and it kind of sticks to your hand (is not slippery) and is waterproof. It a VERY bad idea to treat it with anything (preservatives, waxes, etc.). TO CLEAN use warm water, hand or dish soap and a soft cloth, rinse well and you are done.
Last edited by darcy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darcy

Re: Cleaning Cork

Postby adventureR » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:47 am

My Yamame rod handle looks like it has gone through the ringer. I will not be surprised when large parts of cork finally peel and fall off. Then I might contemplate repair and maybe cleaning so new cork might have a chance to stick.
Top Iwana, bottom Yamame.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Loften » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:55 am

I used to use fine textured wool pads which worked with soap and water, but recently I found out about Mr. Clean Magic Eraser which works a little better with less mess.
Loften

Postby Tenkara Guides » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:00 am

I like to leave my grips alone and let them show their use. It gives each rod character. It's not the years, its the milage. My rods show their miles well.

John
Tenkara Guides

Postby adventureR » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:25 pm

Received a nice, I would say gift from the team @ Tenkara USA. Not my intention to put down the handles, just figured this was how all the rod handles were. One of these days i'll make it to a store that sells Tenkara USA merchandise. There's alot of items of interest to me. Daniel San was nice enough to send my wife and me replacement handles for our rods. So I thought I should show them. They are very nice quality.

Thanks for the excellent service, above and beyond anything customer wise I've ever experienced.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:32 pm

NEVER clean the cork on a rod that will take the mojo off a rod :roll:

Jeremy, Daniel takes care of his customer's can't beat that. That pic don't do Jeremy's old cork justice I saw it in person it was almost black in March. I think it comes from owning 1 rod there are outher things that come from owning 1 Tenkara rod Jeremy is very good with that Yamame he can fish big or small water just the same. I think that's part of what Tenkara is about keeping things simple. Jeremy does that well he owns one rod and makes almost all the rest of what he uses. I bet those first poor Tenkara fishermen didn't buy a lot of what they needed I bet they made it. Hats off to you Jermey a true Tenkara fishermen.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby adventureR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:20 am

:D
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Gear Maintenance