Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Waxing

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Waxing

Postby dealtoyo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 am

A tip that I learned many years ago was to wax the ferrules of your fishing rod. It sounds kind of strange but it works very well. If water gets inbetween the two sections of the rod the wax will prevent it from freezing together in very cold weather. In hot weather the wax turns soft and allows the two surfaces to slip past each other as force is applied. And while casting the wax provides just enough "stick" to prevent the rod section from flying off if the ferrule starts to come loose (doesn't really apply for Tenkara rods since they are telescopic).

It doesn't take much wax a thin coating will do. It's best to use paraffin wax since some candle wax will have dyes and scent. I don't think you want a bear licking your fishing pole in the middle of the night.
dealtoyo

Re: Waxing

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Thank you for posting. This is true, and a very good tip.

It is indeed good to periodically lightly was the rod, this keeps them sliding more easily. And, I never thought of the application for winter and the water not freezing, but that makes a lot of sense.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to break out the wax and apply some to the ferrules.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby CJOttawa » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 am

please delete
Last edited by CJOttawa on Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CJOttawa

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for bringing this post up from the archives.

I have changed my mind slightly on this one after some additional experience. While wax has potential application to make the rod segments slide more easily and not get stuck, in my experience that is offset by wax's potential to attract dirt, which even in a very small scale could result in segments getting stuck a bit more easily.

I still believe it must have good potential for winter fishing.

But, in my opinion the very best way to keep things working smoothly is to keep the rod clean and dry. Dry the segments as you push them in and periodically open the back of the rod to dry the ends of the rod segments.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:19 pm

If you do get frozen segment joints winter fishing, just hold the joint up close to your lips and gently blow into the into it. The warm air from your breath is usually enough to thaw it out. Water/ice doesn't get very deep into the joint. If there is ice, it will usually just be around the rim of the larger segment.

For winter fishing, the biggest problems arise from condensation inside the rod segments. This condensation occurs from moving the rod from warm to cold, back to warm environments. Like when you get out of your warm car, go fishing for a few hours in sub 32 deg temps and put the now cold rod back into your warm car to move to a new fishing spot and then get back out into the cold air. That rapid heating and cooling of the air inside your rod condenses the water molecules present in the air. Presto, water inside your rod.

Remember to throughly dry out your rods after a day of winter fishing. People tend to forget that there can be high humidity in winter air.

I agree with Daniel on the wax and grit. Ferrule wax will cause more problems than it will cure. All streams have particulate matter in the water, don't give that stuff glue to attach to. Unlike western rods, our tenkara rods have moving parts, the segments. Would you pour wax into your car engine? Wax would melt in the crank case while the engine is hot, but as the engine cools, the wax that is spread throughout every moving part the oil comes into contact with will attract particulates and entrap it. Now you have this nice perfect sand paper material coating every moving part. As soon as you crank the engine to re-start your car, you are grinding the crap out of everything. Not good. The same thing will happen to your rod segments eventually.

John
Tenkara Guides

Return to Gear Maintenance