Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Top 10 Ways to Break a Tenkara Rod

How to properly care and maintain the rod. <b>Rule #1- always push pieces straight in when closing the rod, NO SIDEWAY PRESSURE....</b>, etc.

Re: Top 10 Ways to Break a Tenkara Rod

Postby CraigP » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Stan Wright wrote:The #1 was the way I broke my tenkara, when I dropped the rod while trying to connect the line. Ceiling Fans have take a few fly and spinning rod tips. My most dangerous rod killer is the car. Wheels, doors, and electric windows. :lol:

beware the tippet hanging outside of the window or car door - rod nestled safely inside on the trip between beats/rivers, you think, but even a spider thin 6x tippet hanging outside of the car door can get caught on wheels or bushes, and the first thing you know is that a serious tug is given and a rod goes flying across the car with resounding snap at the end. Been there, seen it with a few western rods from mates, and, despite supposedly knowing what not to do, last season very nearly did it myself with the tenkara, because I was lazy and just dumped the lot in the footwell when moving between rivers instead of winding back on the EZ keepers or line holder - somehow the tippet end (sans fly) was hanging outside of the door; I just noticed it in time as I was pulling out to the road. der and doh.
CraigP

Postby Pieguy56 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:38 pm

#3. Got the tip of the pole snagged high up in a tree hanging over the river. It's so hard to watch the line and the end of the pole at the same time.
All I could do was pull back until something gave. I was lucky and the branch gave away. I had pulled so hard on the pole that It was very hard to get each piece to come apart. When O got to the 2nd from the last section I bent it over. 1 week later I had my replacement parts.
I did end up with 5 extra flies that came with the branch that gave away :D
I'll try to watch the end of the pole when I'm in the trees.
Pieguy56

Postby Paul Arnold » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Pieguy56 -- Your story reminds me of a story that Al Troth, the guy who designed the Elk Hair Caddis, told me. One day he began a float of his local Montana river and discovered he'd left his flies at home. He fished all day anyway, using only the flies he picked out of tree branches and bushes. ~Paul
Paul Arnold

Postby chaugen1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:10 am

Definitely guilty of trying to free my fly by just whipping the rod around. I need to shake that habit before I buy my Tenkara rod, otherwise I just know my first day out will not be a pleasant one. :(
chaugen1

Postby mjhaman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:18 am

Watch me snap my Iwana!!! I grabbed the line and pulled in and down the snap! (Completely my fault!) http://youtu.be/0avoWLGrnEg
Mike H.
KB7SNQ
mjhaman

Previous

Return to Gear Maintenance