Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New hampshire

Some states define fly-fishing as using a "fly-rod, fly-reel and flies". The use of a reel should not be a defining aspect of fly-fishing.
This forum is a place to share information about how certain states define "fly-fishing" for the purpose of "fly-fishing only" waters. And, if you contact a state for clarification, how would they treat tenkara? (e.g. Connecticut defines fly-fishing as using "fly-reel", one of our users, Mr. Hackney, contacted the Connecticut authority for clarification, and they said Tenkara IS fly-fishing, see more in first post).

New hampshire

Postby scruffy_fish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Looking into the clarification of the term "fly fishing" with NHF&G to accept Tenkara as a fly fishing style for our catch and release fly fishing only waters.
scruffy_fish

Re: New hampshire

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:00 pm

Thanks for looking into it. Much appreciated.
In case it helps, feel free to point them to the forum, and precedents set by other states too.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby scruffy_fish » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Daniel,
I received this email from NHF&G in response to my request for a clarification of fly fishing in the state of New Hampshire to include the Tenkara style of fishing .

Dear Mr. ****
Under the Department’s current administrative rule the Tenkara style of fly fishing would not be allowed in New Hampshire’s fly-fishing-only waters, though it certainly is a legal way to fish in all other waters in the state. The Department will put your request to modify the fly-fishing definition to include the Tenkara style of fly fishing on its list of suggested changes to fishing regulations, which are scheduled to be considered later this year.

Stephen G. Perry, Chief
Inland Fisheries Division
New Hampshire Fish and Game Department
11 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
stephen.perry@wildlife.nh.gov
603-271-1745

I would suggest anyone that fishes the waters of New Hampshire to contact Mr. Perry in support of Tankara style of fly fishing.
scruffy_fish

Postby Slowski » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:37 am

Just sent a Email to Perry. I got an out of office reply from him stating he retired from the NHF&G on 01-28-13. Last week I called and asked the same question to Sgt. Dave E. of NHF&G and he said he would get back to me.

Slowski
Slowski

Postby OutdoorsBen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:27 am

Last I heard is you had to get them to vote on it or something along those lines. That's the only way the regs would change. That was a year or so ago so maybe some things have changed.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby farmer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:58 am

It might be a good idea to meet and ask Sgt. Dave E. to go with you for a little Tenkara style fishing trip. Folks that have no prior experience with it haven't a clue or motivation to make changes. I imagine if he experiences the beauty of it first hand he will be hooked like the rest of us. Good luck!
farmer

Postby AlecA » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:06 pm

I emailed Jason Smith who is the Chief of New Hampshire's Inland Fisheries Division and Tenkara is still illegal in fly fishing only waters.

I'll be emailing my representatives to introduce legislation changing the definition of fly fishing.

I'll update when I hear anything.

Luckily I live close enough to VT to fish there. I'm brand new to Tenkara and looking forward to going out for the first time in April!!

Alec
AlecA

Postby Jcguarneri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

Have you had any success on this? I've just moved to New Hampshire and would love to collaborate on this. It might be a long game, but I'm up for it. In the meantime, at least only a few waters are truly fly fishing only. It's a shame that the landlocked salmon waters of the Upper Connecticut are off limits, though...
Jcguarneri

Return to Regulations