Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Lanyards

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Lanyards

Postby David » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I know I read about lanyards somewhere else but I think this might be the appropriate place for it. I found a few things while looking for my ultimate lanyard. One I found is a handcrafted leather lanyard. From what I see and read they are great quality, a bit pricey (more than the Tenkara wallet) but he customizes it to your needs and with care they should last a lifetime. http://knotsmith.com/TFLY.htm Another tidbit I picked up from him is a company called Berkeley Point that has some wonderful clips that are a few steps up from the typical snap swivel (the clips are made in Japan too). I plan on using them whether my wife buys me a lanyard for Christmas or I make my own. They are bigger, stronger and easier to unlatch than regular snaps and I plan on attaching a ring of sorts to my little items so I can have a uniform and easy to clip/unclip system.
I'd add a picture but I'm not sure how just yet...
David

Re: Lanyards

Postby rsetina » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 pm

I've tried a lanyard and just can't get use to using one.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby OarsnPaddle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:12 pm

I'm even having trouble adjusting to my own homemade leather wallet. I was so glad the other day when I fished from the boat and it would just sit in the bottom of the boat and not be slung around my neck. Perhaps it's all about getting used to it it?

With that said, if the lanyards you're looking at are more expensive than the leather wallet, why not make your own and try it out to see if you like having stuff around your neck?
OarsnPaddle

Postby David » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 pm

The only reason I may consider 'receiving' an expensive lanyard is beacuse my wife is looking for a gift for Christmas. Personally, I do admire the beauty and craftmanship. I did find other sources for clips (of course) Another is Maratac Gate Clip.
One thing I saw on the lanyard site I mentioned was a horizontal bar that had the clips; That set off something in my head that the flimsly necklaces won't do. I'm actually thinking a nice core that is somewhat flexible but still keeps things from clanging together.
David

Postby OarsnPaddle » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:31 pm

Depending on when it is your birthday, I'd still try to make one myself to see what design features are important and if you can get used to it.
To me it seems most useful if using chest waders, but I may be utterly wrong.

I am completely with you on the beauty and craftmanship-part of the equation.

It's time for me to back down, so to speak, as I haven't used a proper lanyard, and I think people using one will be able to give you a much better response than I am able to.
OarsnPaddle

Postby goneflyfishing » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:27 am

I made myself a lanyard for just a few bucks - the most expensive were the swivels from Wal Mart. Use a medium black nylon string, add some beads and swivels, done. If you want somehting for your tippet spools, cut a piece of nylon and thread it through a piece of small drip irrigation pipe, and attach it where the beads end. If you look at the picture closely, you will also notice a security pin in the middle of the beads - attach this to your shirt and the lanyard will stay put.

Tight Lines, K
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby wrknapp » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 am

They are easy to make and each person has their own need for features. Those leather ones are nice, but I would have to receive one as a gift. For that kind of money I have many more fishing "wants" on my list.

By the way, I will add a safety pen to hold it close to me when I bend over: nice feature and inexpensive and simple.

Randy
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby SSJChar » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:34 am

I'm not a fan of the necklace lanyards, but i wouldn't mind having one that goes around the waist, so a belt. I was trying to think of a way to integrate a line holder into the belt, so that the line would run along the belt and would have minimal bends, but i really dont know how that would work well.
SSJChar

Return to Add-on gear