Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

"mouton fur" - where to get it (EU/UK)?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

"mouton fur" - where to get it (EU/UK)?

Postby OarsnPaddle » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:42 am

Hi everyone,

I have decided against buying a TUSA leather wallet this time around, because it is shipped from the US, and I will end with an item costing well over $300. I reckon a GPSmap 62s will be more useful for my trip.

I still want a similar wallet though. as I think that sort of wallet and a rod is about as simple as it gets when it comes to storage underway and in use. But I digress ...

I want to make my own, similar one. At least one capable of the same capacity, so to speak. And I need some fur of some sort to use. Plastics are out the window as I'm hypersensitive to most. And if I do get hold of it from somewhere do I glue it on without the "skin" or do I use the skin to hold the actual fur in place?

Any ideas?
OarsnPaddle

Re: "mouton fur" - where to get it (EU/UK)?

Postby Stephen McGowen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:56 am

The mouton you speak of is simply a piece of tanned sheepskin with the wool sheared short. It is on the skin and you glue the skin into your wallet. The EU/UK is full of sheep ( at least it was the last time I was there) and any fly shop should be able to supply you with more than you will ever need.

Mr Kuwata's tenkara wallet is well thought out and well made. It is expensive...but it is money well spent for a unique and useful item. I felt some "unease" when I ordered mine, due to the cost, but have come to wish that everything else in the world was as well made and as functional as Kuwata-san's product. I will admit that it is not for everyone.

C&F Designs makes a great pin-on chest fly box ( about 34 USD in this country) that pins right on your shirt. It will carry way more flies than you'll need for even a couple of days fishing.I've been using one for ten years and it really takes abuse. Add some nippers on a string around your neck and tippet spools in your pocket and you have an inexpensive version of the wallet.
Stephen McGowen

Postby OarsnPaddle » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:48 am

Thank you, Stephen. I will find a fly shop nearby, hopefully already tomorrow. Leatherwise I'm all set.

The wallet is indeed something straight up my alley, but this week I have purchased a Gränsfors axe and diamond sharpening thingy, a Bob Dustrude folding saw, an Exped Downmat 9 DLX, an Amago rod and accesories, as well as papermaps of the coast all up to Oslo, not to mention some clothing as autumn seems to be on top of us, quite a few doodads for my trip, and half an hour ago I pulled the trigger on a Garmin 62s + the digital maps needed.
All in all I have already spent a huge amount of money this week, so I will either have to pull the trigger now, spending far more than I can afford right now, or make do with making my own "copy" and wait till a later date, when the next batch arrives (and hopefully to be shipped from the UK).

I took a look at the C&F design, and they're "chemical" (plastics and/or foam), so I'd have to alter them in order to be able to use them - especially if they're pinned straight below my face.

In short, I think the flybox is worth it. I just don't want to pay all the add-on duties and taxes on it. Especially since we have 25 percent sales tax in this country. With that it comes above my monetary threshold of pain.

I'm hoping to make something quick and relatively easy for my trip, and then at a later date buy "the real thing".
OarsnPaddle

Postby tnitz » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am

Years ago my dad bought a used seat cover that has provided all the sheared sheep we have ever needed. It was a couple bucks at a yard sale.
tnitz

Return to Add-on gear