Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Water Bottles - purification system - recommendations?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Water Bottles - purification system - recommendations?

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:13 am

I was this last weekend with the family in Rocky Mountain National Park and was able to sneak away for half an hour to Fall River in Horseshoe (landed a beautiful 13" brown on the first cast which was the only fish caught).

On my tiny hike back to the car, I realized how quickly you can get de-hydrated on that altitude. Since I will be going back in mid-September to hike up to some more remote creeks, I was wondering what the other back country tenkare fly fisher are using to transport water (simple & light). I was thinking that a water purification bottle would be awesome since we are always around water if fishing (...).

Does anybody has recommendations or a favorite hydration system?

Tight Lines, Karel
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Re: Water Bottles - purification system - recommendations?

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Karel,

What a timely post, as I was thinking of posting something about this today. Recently someone turned me on to one of the most obvious things, which when he told me, I was like "duh!, how did I not think about this before?"

When I go fishing, I normally just have a small bag (the Recycled Waders nook sack.) In it I carry a water bottle, snack, box of flies with tippet spools, camera and knife. I have run out of water a few times before, and while I personally have no qualms about drinking river water directly in the places I go, I know it's a risky thing. When I went fishing with a friend in Colorado he just brought one of those water bottles with a filter, and said "I never run out of water". It clicked, that yes, that's what I really needed. I'm always by a stream anyways. So, again coincidentally, on my way up to the Rocky Mountain National Park, I stopped at one of the stores in Estes Park and bought their cheapest/smallest water bottle/water filter combo (this one: http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm/BOT100).

This was the best idea of the year for me! Yesterday I fished all day long, and not once was worried about water. I refilled my bottle some 10 times and then it was time to leave, when it got dark!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks, Daniel, timely indeed! I should have asked a few days ago and I could have picked on up in Estes Park as well since we stayed there for 2 nights...

There seem to be different products with the same purpose, Katadyn being one of them (quite expensive compared to yours). I wonder if it is all the same system and what possible could justify the price differences.

Tight Lines, Karel
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:10 pm

There are a few factors for prices of filters; some may remove more unwanted stuff (virus/different bacteria) than others, some have higher water-flows, and other features/design/etc.
I just found one that seems interesting and versatile for camping as well as fishing: http://www.rei.com/product/778042
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby grampa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:34 am

I use two systems, depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

If I'm backpacking in an area with limited water access, I use a filter system with 3 liter water bags. I can set it up at a water hole or creek, make a snack, and 20 minutes later, I'm rested, re-fueled, and the water is ready. The filter removes bacteria, cysts and protozoa down to 0.02 microns. Viruses (if any) remain. If I'm in a high human use area where viruses are a concern, I treat with a form of chlorine (15 minutes).

But if the water access is frequent on a backpack trip, or if I'm just fishing for the day, I take a one liter Nalgene and my Steripen. The Steripen kills all bacteria, cysts, protozoa and viruses in 1 1/2 minutes.

Both systems are pretty lightweight, but the Steripen is nicer for day long fishing trips.
grampa

Postby tnitz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Decided last weekend that I have developed a distaste for the iodine flavor of my Pur (now Katadyn) Voyageur. Maybe I just need a new charcoal filter, I don't know, but it seems like there's better options.

It sounds like you already know much about the Steripen, I am curious why you do not use it more - and remind me, does it resolve giardia?

After a few bottles of filtered water I gave up and drank it "fresh" - my coffee and tea tasted alot better.

Is your other system gravity fed?
tnitz

Postby Berner9 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Want it simple like tenkara?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... ilter.html

Even has a video from Jason Klass if you scroll down a little.
Berner9

Postby grampa » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:03 pm

tnitz wrote:Decided last weekend that I have developed a distaste for the iodine flavor of my Pur (now Katadyn) Voyageur. Maybe I just need a new charcoal filter, I don't know, but it seems like there's better options.

It sounds like you already know much about the Steripen, I am curious why you do not use it more - and remind me, does it resolve giardia?

After a few bottles of filtered water I gave up and drank it "fresh" - my coffee and tea tasted alot better.

Is your other system gravity fed?

Yes, the Steripen kills giardia, along with all other pathogens, including viruses.

It does not remove things like metals, chemical toxins, etc. It's not a filter. It doesn't change the taste. It just kills the nasty critters.
grampa

Postby tnitz » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:04 am

Thanks guys. Sounds like the thing to do is to find a small, simple, filter combined with steripen.
tnitz

Postby goneflyfishing » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:55 am

I just got back from a high country trip in RMNP and was using my new Aquamira Filter Bottle. Love the convenience of the filter bottle, but the filter is slooow. Almost annoying how slow the water is filtered even with pressure (squeezing the bottle). It is a bit faster if the filter has been wet and used a bit but still. Maybe not the product for someone who is very thirsty, but it works. You just need to slow down and focus on drinking.
Tight Lines, -K
Live long and fly fish.
goneflyfishing

Next

Return to Add-on gear