Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The Ebira Tenkara Rod Quiver

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

The Ebira Tenkara Rod Quiver

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:21 am

Hey Everyone,

The Ebira is finally here. Its a quiver for your Tenkara rod. It really is a must have. Check out my video at http://lancemilks.blogspot.com/2010/07/ebira.html They are sold exclusivley at http://www.backpackflyfishing.com/ and you can see more about them there. Also stop by the BPFF forum if you have any questions.
Lance

Re: The Ebira Tenkara Rod Quiver

Postby grampa » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:46 am

Jason's Ebira rod quiver and his Trico pouch just arrived, and just in time for a quick trip to the Golden Trout Wilderness on Monday!

I've been using the Mayfly lanyard pouch this last year, and the difference in weight between the two, for essentially the same functionality, is amazing. The Trico weighs 0.7 oz on my scale without the lanyard, 0.9 oz with it. By comparison, the Mayfly weighs 4.1 oz. Not a huge difference to guys who aren't ultralight backpackers, but huge in my book! And in terms of straight-forward fishability, it looks to me like the Trico scores higher there as well.

The Ebira rod quiver looks like a nice bit of gear. I like the idea of being able to securely carry my rod over my shoulder while pushing through the brush and over the boulders that line most of our small streams out here. The Ebira comes with a small detachable pouch - I'm waffling on whether or not to carry that. The Trico is more functional, but the Ebira pouch might be nice for an extra line or tippet spool, along with a Power Bar (or Daniel's sea salt!).

When I get back from Golden Trout, I'll try to have a complete report along with photos.

Just at first glance though, these two look like great pieces of gear ("kit" for you Brits!).
grampa

Postby rsetina » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:53 am

How do you secure your leader, tippet and fly? The pouch looks too small to keep it all together and ready for use. That would be one drawback for me. I like having it ready to use and not having to rig the leader to the rod each time.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Berner9 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 am

rsetina wrote:How do you secure your leader, tippet and fly? The pouch looks too small to keep it all together and ready for use. That would be one drawback for me. I like having it ready to use and not having to rig the leader to the rod each time.

You can fit it all in there but its tight. I even put the tenkara pliers and snippers in there. About taking it in and out is what I found out was a little tricky. I use the Fuji EZ Keeper and I was always concerned about the line falling off when in the pouch so I never put it in. I think this product is for backcountry rivers where you gotta hike into. There is no need for the ebira if you drive and park at the side of the road/river and start fishing.
Berner9

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that I use the Fuji method and have had no issues with it as of yet. After reading your conerns about the line falling off I took out my settup and played with it trying to get one of the keepers to colapse. I imagine its possible but i couldnt make it do it, well not being reasonable with how hard I extracted the rod. If you have any other concerns or questions feel free to visit the BPFF forum.

See you on the trail,
Lance
Lance

Postby CM_Stewart » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Rick,

I use the blue Tenkara USA line holder and the pouch has room for the line holder, a small 6-compartment fly box, a couple tippet spools, a spare line (in a zip-loc), forceps and a Tip Grip. It's snug but it fits.
CM_Stewart

Postby goneflyfishing » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Lance wrote:Hey guys,

I wanted to let you know that I use the Fuji method and have had no issues with it as of yet. After reading your conerns about the line falling off I took out my settup and played with it trying to get one of the keepers to colapse. I imagine its possible but i couldnt make it do it, well not being reasonable with how hard I extracted the rod. If you have any other concerns or questions feel free to visit the BPFF forum.

See you on the trail,
Lance

Do you keep the fly/flies on while storing the line with the fuji keepers? Do the flies get crushed or stuck inside the quiver?

Tight Lines, K
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Postby grampa » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:35 am

goneflyfishing wrote:
Lance wrote:Hey guys,

See you on the trail,
Lance

Do you keep the fly/flies on while storing the line with the fuji keepers? Do the flies get crushed or stuck inside the quiver?

Tight Lines, K

I do, yes. No problems encountered so far!
grampa

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:06 pm

I keep the entire settup wrapped around the keepers. There is plenty of room inside the quiver for everything.
Lance

Postby goneflyfishing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:14 pm

cool. sounds like neat gift idea for x-mas!
Live long and fly fish.
My Blog: Tenkara On The Fly
Twitter: @tenkaraonthefly
Facebook: Tenkara On The Fly
goneflyfishing

Return to Add-on gear