Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

TLC (Tullis Line Control) Devise works!!!

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

TLC (Tullis Line Control) Devise works!!!

Postby LarryTullis » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:20 pm

TLC (Tullis Line Control) Devise works!!! Plastic 90 degree tab on bottom (held on with butt cap) and carved EVA foam hook on the top works wonders to control line when not in use, with rod extended or retracted (as in photo with 2 fly nymphing rig). It even slides into the rod tube fully rigged and ready to go (or a soft case). I posted it before but with lots of use now I am happy to report that it passed the real test with flying colors for handling loose line and avoiding tangles. It's a keeper!
Attachments
016.JPG
016.JPG (138.21 KiB) Viewed 8740 times
LarryTullis

Re: TLC (Tullis Line Control) Devise works!!!

Postby gentleshepherd » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:30 am

Larry, can you show us how you made this or are you going to put them up for sale? I might be interested in it. It looks really nice.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby bjanzen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Larry,

That is just slick...... I have seen a long slender winder that someone made, but that is just perfect. Will have to come up with something like that.

Barry

PS.... Here is the previous thread >>http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=301&p=1705#p1705
bjanzen

Postby statikpunk » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:15 pm

I really like that idea larry ...i also do a lot of walking when i fish and this would be a vast improvement to carrying the line in my hand. could you show us how you made it ? :D
RODS: Ito&
Iwana I/II 12ft & 9ft
Amago
statikpunk

Postby LarryTullis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:34 pm

TLC Devise DIY Instructions: I will have a commercial version available soon for those who want one but here is how I made it myself.

1-Take a plastic object with a 90 degree bend, like the lid from a recycleable beverage container. Take the butt cap off the Tenkara rod and trace a circle on the lid and add 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the cap edge to the circle, not extending outside the circle more than a quarter inch. Cut it out with a jewelers, coping or band saw. Drill a hole in the flat part of the plastic tab big enough to fit over the butt cap screw threads. Sand smooth any rough or sharp edges. Attach it to the rod butt using the butt cap, with the 90 degree tab facing down.

2-Get some EVA foam (semi-rigid popper type closed-cell foam). Beach sandal foam works if it's dense enough. Cut a 5/8"x5/8" by 7/8" approx. cube. Drill a hole in one end slightly smaller than the top of your Tenkara butt section. Twist it on the butt. It should fit tightly. Cut a groove in the top of the foam cube deep enough to easily cradle a number of line coils.

3-Attach your tenkara line to the rod tip tag as usual. Wind the excess around the TLC (Tullis Line Control) system (either extended or retracted). Stick the fly in the cork handle or foam hook to keep the line from unwinding. If the fly ends up over the bare rod blank, just spiral the leader to fit to either the grip or the foam hook. A thin strip of foam could be added to the open length of the butt section but I have found it unneccesary. If the rod is left extended, gently spiral the line around the rod with a circular hand motion to help keep it from catching on streamside brush.

4-Deploying the system is easy. Unhook the fly, unwind the leader/line from the TLC System and extend the sections as usual. The TLC System drastically reduces tangles and increases fishing time. It's perfect for brush busting and can even be inserted into the Tenkara rod tube if not made too bulky.
LarryTullis

Postby pszy22 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:11 pm

Variation on a theme.

Fully intending to steal, er I mean, reuse Larry's basic design, I headed to my flip flop pile. I always have a bunch around, they make great popper heads for bluegills (and bass like them too). Anyhow on top of the pile was one of the straps I had previously cut off one of the flips. As I picked it up, I realized why I had kept it a month earlier.

A trimmed flip flop strap fits a tenkara rod great. This certainty isn't as elegant as Larry's solution, but it sure is fast (and cheap), and it works great.

If I was sure I was going to leave it on the rod, I'd take some time to replace the rubber bands with some o-rings and trim the flip flop strap a little closer.
pszy22

Postby gentleshepherd » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:46 pm

I also have a ton of flip flop laying around that I use for inch worm and ant bodies.

Did you us the hook also on the forward rod section? It looks that way but the pic does not show it distinctly.

Thanks.

Hey TLC I still will be looking at your commercial version when you bring it out!
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby pszy22 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:06 pm

yep, same deal front and back.
pszy22

Return to Add-on gear