Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Wading pants in tall sizes

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby OutdoorsBen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:44 am

Can anyone recommend a pair of TALL waist high wading pants. I see all these ones that the taller they get the bigger the waist. I don't want to bunch up a size 38 waist because I need tall waders. I'm a tall slim guy and was hoping to find something that fits. Something like a Tall Medium. Any suggestions or anyone know anyone in a similar situation?
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
User avatar
OutdoorsBen
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm
Location: New England

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby jd_smith » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:20 pm

You might try the Patagonia, M's Gunnison Gorge Wading Pant's Long $299, or Simms Guide Pants size ML, but big buck at $499. Simms is also known for their custom built to fit waders for hard to fit people. They might custom fit you a less expensive pair of their freestone pants at $219 + custom fit. You may also like the Chota Hippies Convertible Wading Socks at $129. Their not waist high though and look far less durable than the others. Admittedly, I have no experience with the Chota or Patagonia. I have used only Simms for the last decade with no bitches or complaints.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:23 pm
Location: Northern Ca.

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby OutdoorsBen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:55 pm

jd_smith wrote:You might try the Patagonia, M's Gunnison Gorge Wading Pant's Long $299, or Simms Guide Pants size ML, but big buck at $499. Simms is also known for their custom built to fit waders for hard to fit people. They might custom fit you a less expensive pair of their freestone pants at $219 + custom fit. You may also like the Chota Hippies Convertible Wading Socks at $129. Their not waist high though and look far less durable than the others. Admittedly, I have no experience with the Chota or Patagonia. I have used only Simms for the last decade with no bitches or complaints.

JD

The last resort were the Chota's, not that I have anything against them. I have chest waders and wanted something lower for times I don't need chest highs. Thanks for the suggestions i'll look into them.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
User avatar
OutdoorsBen
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm
Location: New England

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby craigthor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:58 pm

There are a couple of people that use the Chotas on here, I'll try to find the thread but they all loved them. I know that they are on my want to buy list.

Craig
craigthor
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Robins, IA

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby Charlie P. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm 6'3" and 175 lbs and my Orvis Silver Label boot foot tall waders fit me great. I'm very happy with them.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - - Albert Einstein
User avatar
Charlie P.
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:31 am

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:06 pm

I am using the new Orvis Silver Sonic Convertible waders and they are fantastic. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

They list long as a size option in medium, large, and XL as well as extra long for 6'5" & taller people.

John
User avatar
Tenkara Guides
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:33 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby craigthor » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 am

Tenkara Guides wrote:I am using the new Orvis Silver Sonic Convertible waders and they are fantastic. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

They list long as a size option in medium, large, and XL as well as extra long for 6'5" & taller people.

John


Thanks I have been eyeing those may have to give them a try. how much do tehy weigh? I want to be able to pack them in if neccassary
craigthor
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:06 pm
Location: Robins, IA

Re: Wading pants in tall sizes

Postby Tenkara Guides » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:52 am

craigthor wrote:
Tenkara Guides wrote:I am using the new Orvis Silver Sonic Convertible waders and they are fantastic. http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=5H5E

They list long as a size option in medium, large, and XL as well as extra long for 6'5" & taller people.

John


Thanks I have been eyeing those may have to give them a try. how much do tehy weigh? I want to be able to pack them in if neccassary


I'm not sure of the actual weight. They do pack down pretty small. I use a compression duffel bag from REI to pack them in.

Orvis does make a Sonic Seam packable wader. I used a pair of these for 2 seasons of guide use and they held up great. They pack down real tight and are lighter than the Silver Sonic. 2 lbs. 6 oz. in size large.
I still use these if I want to pack my waders and boots in a daypack for day hike-fish trips. A great wader for overnight backpacking. Not as full featured as the Silver Sonics.

Here is a link: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9X8R

Orvis has live chat on their site that is really good. Or you can call them and talk to a fishing specialist to get very detailed technical information about their products. The phone # is plastered all over the Orvis site.

Any pics you see of me on our website and videos show the Packable waders. I really beat the hell out of those things since 2010 and they are still perfectly good to go. At least 350 fishing days on those waders. They have outlasted 3 pairs of Patagonia wading boots. The only reason I purchased the new waders is that for guiding, it is nice to have more pockets to cram stuff into.

John
User avatar
Tenkara Guides
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:33 am
Location: Salt Lake City, UT


Return to Add-on gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests