Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

DIY Cuben Stuff Sacks

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

DIY Cuben Stuff Sacks

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:31 pm

If you would like some Cuben Fiber stuff sacks at an attractive price you can make 6 or 7 sacks from the kit from Yama Mountain Gear. They require no sewing. :) Just cut the fabric, then fold and glue the seams together with a type of tape that only leaves the adhesive in the seam. No carrier for the tape remains in the seams. If you've ever played around with origami you've already developed half the skills needed. ;)

Order the kit here
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/gear-room/kits/cuben-fiber-stuff-sacks

Instructions here
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/diy/cuben-fiber-stuff-sacks

Compare prices to ready made sacks here
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/gear-room/accessories/category/27-cuben-stuff-sacks

Recently I ordered two kits. I have completed the first kit. Making the first sack goes a bit slow. After completing the first 3 the rest go quickly. The instructions provide 3 options for cutting the fabric. I used cutting option 3, which lays out the fabric for six sacks. Below is a picture of two of the sacks I made. One large and 1 medium sized sack.

If I purchased 2 sacks of this size ready made they would cost almost as much as the kit. But from the kit I get 4 more sacks.

Gen Shimazu has been great to work with. The kit and the company are recommended. :)

D
Attachments
CFSackLrgMed_YamaMountain.jpg
Large and Medium sized CF stuff sack
CFSackLrgMed_YamaMountain.jpg (62.94 KiB) Viewed 8314 times
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: DIY Cuben Stuff Sacks

Postby craigthor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks for this I have been looking for some stuff sacks for thing. Now I know what I may do.

Craig
craigthor

Postby adventureR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Really cool bags, just opened the package. The mini is 3grams and big enough to use as a fishing gear sack with everything needed for a days fishing.
The medium weighs 5grams and is huge gear wise. Really good fabric, feels super tough. I can imagine many things could be made with this to make super simple tough projects.

Thanks D
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby craigthor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

After watching the video I think I am sold. lol maybe 3 sets so I can outfit our 2 packs
craigthor

Postby Anthony » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing this is really cool stuff. I really need to investigate the possibilities.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby dwalker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 am

Just a few notes from my experience making the sacks.

I made a bit of a cutting error because I did not draw out all the sizes before cutting. :o After cutting the fabric for the large sack, I would recommend you draw in the the cut lines for the rest of the cuts. Or at least measure the fabric to satisfy your mind that the remaining dimensions can be laid out and cut.

If you deviate from the recommended fabric cut plan be mindful that smaller sacks use more tape per area than larger sacks. You don't want to run out of tape. For example the large sack = 2.24 ( H x W/ length of tape required, 140/62.5) vs small = 1.18 and mini = .869
(however, I have found the 3M 9460 VHB 2 mil transfer tape readily available and 60 yds fairly inexpensive)

Step 13 was the only step that had me a might bewildered for a few minutes when making the first sack. Step 13 instructs you to keep the 1/2" overlap set in step 11 when folding the fabric the other way.

In step 11 you fold with an overlap of 1/2" and the longer side is on the work surface. In step 13 the overlap is the side away from the work surface. iow - it's the same edge that extends past the other edge by 1/2 inch. ( the instructions are probably fine and it's just the way I read read step 13 after step 11 had fixed in my mind that the long edge would be the bottom side on the work surface.)

Step 23 absolutely requires the most caution. Screw up this step and you will regret it. 'Nuff said. :shock:

I read somewhere that the shear strength of the tape ( 3M 9460 VHB 2 mil transfer tape ) is 100#. The seam down the side is a single seam which should be good to 100#. The bottom seam is taped, folded and taped again. So it is probably a little tougher due to the double fold.

Point is I would hang on to some of your scrape pieces, if you find in use that one your sacks blows out the side seam, apply some adhesive to a piece of scrape and glue it overlapping the side seam to reinforce it. The side seam is probably fine as designed and I have no plans to add a reinforcing strip unless I have a sack fail sometime in the future.

I think you will find making the sack a fun project. Good luck if you make 'em. ;)

D

oh and btw - if you wondered what package aR opened, I sent aR 1 medium and 1 mini sack.
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:46 pm

Put my stuff sacks through a test today. The sacks both sat in a 1/2" of water in the back of my Kayak for several hours. Everything stayed bone dry. The Cuben fabric solves a gear issue for me. Both on foot wading in case my sling pack takes a dip, and gets splashed and sits in water on my Kayak. Cool bags. I wonder what else I can think of for them.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Add-on gear