Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

What fly boxes do you have?

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

What fly boxes do you have?

Postby craigthor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Just curious what fly boxes you guys have and use.

I have the following:

2- Rick Sentina Wooden (at home on display)
3- Fly Mate Foam (nice for storage)
1- Vintage Wheatley 1307L (just scored this one and should have it in a couple of weeks)

Craig
craigthor

Re: What fly boxes do you have?

Postby jd_smith » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 pm

I have more boxes than I care to mention right now, and they are all full of flies for either trout, stealhead, or bass and pans. Too many to list with out going to my fishing closet. Yeah I have a dedicated closet!

I've been using the C&F slit foam boxes, and combo slit foam/threader boxes. I like these a lot because the slit foam doesn't wear out and the threaders make it easy to tie on small flies or at low light.

I've also been using the TUSA bamboo box that I've modified and put in a small C&F slit foam insert to make it more organized (looking at my picture I'm not sure if it worked). It also now has more room between the lid and foam so it doesn't smash my hackles.
Attachments
P2270505.JPG
P1140641.JPG
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby narcodog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:47 am

Since I'm a minimalist I carry two boxes. One is a small Orvis with movable dividers and the other is a CF Designs. Now I have several of those and carry the one I need for the day. With more often than not is a nymph box. I also have one set up for midges and one for emergers.
narcodog

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 am

This topic is a sore spot for me. Recently I have been on an endless search to find the "perfect" tenkara fly box. I don't carry many flies so it doesn't have to be large, i'd prefer it to fit in the TUSA or Zimmer micro pack. I currently have a small L.L. Bean that is my standard. I purchased a smaller one from cabelas. It's stainless and has compartments on 1 side and tabs on the other. The tabs don't hold smaller flies that well. I also have a larger cheapo box at home that I use for freshly tied flies to replenish the smaller boxes.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby craigthor » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:58 am

Here is the Wheatley that I have coming in. I think it will be the perfect fly box for me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... OC:US:3160

Hopefully it shows up right in the link.

I found a place and inquired about a new one but they discontinued this model, though the new ones had clear glass instead of the yellow.

As for size it is 3.5 x 2.5 x .75"

Craig
craigthor

Return to Add-on gear