Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

wet wading/hiking shoe

What are the other ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment you carry with you? How do you pack? How do you hold your gear while fishing? Fly boxes? Snips? you tell us.

wet wading/hiking shoe

Postby achilles38 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 am

Anybody have suggestions on a shoe/sandal that can be used for wet wading up to mid thigh depth and also work for 3-8 mile hikes over rugged terrain? In spring a lot of creeks by me are warm enough to wet wade but I'll have to hike 3-8 miles by the end of the day, partly bouldering, rough terrain, on fairly warm days, 70-80°. I wanted to find some for Christmas. I have a cheap water shoe I use now, but walking or hiking over 2-3 miles in them kills my heels and arches.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jeremy
achilles38

Re: wet wading/hiking shoe

Postby tpalka » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:03 am

I have been very pleased with Korkers. I bought the Korkers Metalhead boot and have been using it quite often for almost two months now. The rubber sole is absolutely useless for the river, unless the river has no rocks :) But that sole is good for walking, biking, etc. I use felt or studded felt for the river. And I like being able to change soles without having to take the boots off, it really is simple.

I also just ordered their new Svelte sole that's supposedly grippier than felt and that dries quickly. We'll see how that works out...

The boot is comfortable, has a BOA lacing system which is convenient, and I've been very pleased with it. I'd recommend it.
tpalka

Postby achilles38 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 pm

tpalka wrote:I have been very pleased with Korkers. I bought the Korkers Metalhead boot and have been using it quite often for almost two months now. The rubber sole is absolutely useless for the river, unless the river has no rocks :) But that sole is good for walking, biking, etc. I use felt or studded felt for the river. And I like being able to change soles without having to take the boots off, it really is simple.

I also just ordered their new Svelte sole that's supposedly grippier than felt and that dries quickly. We'll see how that works out...

The boot is comfortable, has a BOA lacing system which is convenient, and I've been very pleased with it. I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if those would work for wet wading? It's usually warm enough for me to wade in my water shoes, which are cheap WalMart versions, and my bathing suit, but I can't walk long distances in them or it destroys my arches and heels. I'm looking for more of a warm weather, wet wading sandal/shoe. I think I am going to get a pair of those to use with my waders since my old wading shoes are now officially toasted.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby tpalka » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Well, I wet-wade a lot of the year too. I haven't had these boots for long enough, but I used my old wading boots with a thick Simms neoprene sock. The thickness of that sock was like that of a neoprene wader bootie, and the boots worked just as well with it. Cheers,

tom.
tpalka

Postby williamhj » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:05 pm

I'm glad to see this post. I like wet wading as much as possible and have been wanting a good shoe that works well hiking and in the water. I've had my eyes on Korkers. Are there issues with the fasteners on the soles breaking?
williamhj

Postby narcodog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:27 pm

I have two pair of Korkers and have encountered no problems. As was stated the rubber soles are worthless except for hiking.
narcodog

Postby tsegelke » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:48 pm

I have a pair of Korkers and they lasted only for the beginning of the season. The soles are still intact and worked well, but the seams came apart and the ankle support got worse as the seems fell apart.

I am very hard on wading boots, and haven't found a boot yet to hod up for a full season. Hiking kills wading boots. Here is my time line for boots I have tried: Simms guideboots 5 months, Korkers 3 months, cabellas 4 months, Patagonia 5 months, Orvis 4 months, LL Bean 8 months.

My experience is that wading boots are made for drift boats, not for working and hiking streams. If you want to make a boot last, hike in wearing hiking boots or other shoes, then change to your wading boots. I resolved to buying two sets of boots a year. I get an economy model from LL Bean, and when they are close to wearing out, I buy another pair, and have the used pair for backup.

I am hoping that manufacturers will soon make boots for the fisherman, instead of the person who only fishes 10 days year from a drift boat.

Wish I had a better answer.
tsegelke

Postby achilles38 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:18 am

Maybe we can convince Daniel to commission a tenkara boot, great for those long treks into mountain streams and then wading, yet light, compact, and durable trek after trek. A TUSA boot for the adventurous individuals! I enjoy hiking along the river as much as I enjoy fishing in it. Something about being in the mountains, and near water, that really makes me feel at home. I just need a boot/shoe to make it more comfortable on my feet. :)

Anybody know someone in product development at any major hiking boot manufacturers???... ;)
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby craigthor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:14 am

Here is what I want to get, here is a good article as well.

Article:

http://piragisnorthwoodscompany.blogspot.com/2012/03/new-boots.html

Wading/ Hiking Boot:

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/caney-fork-wading-boot/

Wading Sock:

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/hippies-convertible-wading-socks/

These will probably be next years purchases as they would fit my style very well.

Craig
craigthor

Postby tsegelke » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Interesting. I am curious how the boots hold up to long days, and miles on the creeks and rivers.

Keep us posted.
tsegelke

Next

Return to Add-on gear